5+ months waiting & it only took 3 days to exhaust myself

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, Dec 4, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5+ months waiting & it only took 3 days to exhaust mysel

Sitting and watching my garden for 5+ months and hoping that between Randy and Mother Nature everything would get the water it needed to survive is now a thing of the past. These three days of 70 degrees before the North Pole moves across us tomorrow have been sooooo energizing for me.

Monday I was out pulling up all the dead annuals except for the two largest orange Cosmos, for those I will have to get a shovel!!! Trimmed back the perennials that are going dormant, the Pineapple Sage is still blooming it's heart out so I didn't touch it. Two hours out there bending over, cleaning things up and I felt tired by GREAT

Tuesday I worked on the north bed. No annuals in that bed except for the Mexican Heather that probably won't last through next weekend so I was trimming back the perennials. Also, I know that the only way to get the weed problem undercontrol where the Cannas are growing is to dig them all up, nuke the soil (just kidding about nuking the soil....well, almost...I'm not ruling that out because it might come to that) and replant in Spring. Started on the north end of the Canna section and quickly found an ant bed and the ants found me. I now have about 2 dozen white bumps on my right arm and another dozen divided between my left arm and both knees. Not fire ants or I would be very sick right now, just the little brown ones. I changed to the south end of that area and got about 2 ft x 4 ft of the 12 ft x 4 ft section done before my leg muscles gave out....that was about 3 hours.

Today I planted 73 Iris bulbs some in the ground and some in pots. I know I had told myself last Spring that I would NOT buy anymore Iris bulbs buuuuuuut these are purples and blues and are going to be so pretty. Oh and I had bought 3 red Cyclamen that needed to be planted too. Another 2 hours.

My legs hurt, the ant stings are itchy now and my back is achy but to be back out in the garden after all that happened to me last summer is a great big piece of "butter my butt and call me a biscuit". That's defined as something amazing in case you didn't know. ;)

Frank, Henry Johnson, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, it's simply wonderful to hear that you are back in the garden--itchs, sore back, hurting legs and all. :setc_005:
    Just think how beautiful those irises will be next spring . . . .

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Isn't that the greatest feeling to be exhausted by doing something you love? Congrats on getting back out there!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mmmm Toni I thought you were going to do things gradually after being so ill? Mind you I'm one to talk as I was out in the garden 4 days after getting my hip replaced. I guess you can't keep a good gardener down!! I hope all the aches and pains disappear overnight and that you'll give yourself a break for a little while now. Somehow though I doubt it. ;)

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Congratulations Toni, nice to know you are frolicking away in your garden again. :)

7. V for short

V for short Seedling

KK Ng, it's funny that dirt, a sore back, and limbs of ant bites can be counted as frolicking by a dedicated gardener :-? .

Toni, I can hear the happy tone in your "voice."

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I bet you slept really well after all that gardening. It's the best sleep aid I ever found.

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I also am waiting for the ice age to descend after a 73 degree day yesterday! Unlike you though, I was slogging away at work, not out in the garden where I really wanted to be.

So glad you got this window of time to get things done, dirt, sore back and all! :)

11. toni

Thanks all. I can barely move this morning and certainly won't be doing a lot of bending over...that means Randy gets to empty and reload the dishwasher this afternoon.

Jane, Purples and blues are my favorite Iris colors so I am really looking forward to next Springs blooms.

Cheryl, I tried not to smile too much while out in the yard those days but it just felt so dadgummed good I couldn't help myself...I think people driving by thought I was touched in the head. :rolleyes:

Yeah Eileen, right now I am wishing I had taken things gradually!! But I will be cooped up inside for the next few days because of the weather so it was all worth it.

KK, I was hoping to get a chance to do little Snoopy Dancing out there but yesterday was trash/recycle pick up day so I had to be more demure. :rolleyes:

V, With the ant bites and a couple of times I wasn't sure I would be able to stand up again without hollering for Randy to help me, I was feeling truly 'one with nature' But I am looking forward to the cold weather keeping me inside for a few days.

Donna, being worn out did make for some good sleeping last night and having a couple of glasses of wine and cold air coming in the bedroom window helped too. Then I could barely get out of bed this morning but it was all worth it.

Ronnie, I was so afraid I wouldn't get back out in the garden before the end of the year so I plan on using every nicely warmish day we have to get caught up out there...so much to do!!!

12. V for short

V for short Seedling

Toni... looking forward to the cold weather? It was -15F at 4:30 AM when I went to the gym this morning.

Oh, wait, you said colder, not frigid. I suppose there is a difference when you live in Texas.

:rolleyes:

13. toni

We don't get the below zero temps very often, at least not in the last 10 years. But we did have temps close to and below zero many times in the years previous...I really miss those winters.
    But, no, most winters would not be classified as frigid here.

I lived in Denver for a year, Evergreen for a year and in a three room cabin with a 'wooden potty' as my daughter called it outside of Kittridge for about 6 months back in the early 1970's. I absolutely loved the winters while we were there, only moved away because my ex- decided Florida was more to his liking. :rolleyes:
    We lived in Florida for 5 years and I would take Colorado winters over Florida winters every year. But GardenStewers have learned that I am a winter nut anyway ;)

14. V for short

V for short Seedling

Oh, so you're an old hand at winter. I grew up in Montana so Colorado winters are mild compared to what I'm used to.

I definitely wouldn't want to be in Florida. (No offense to all you Floridians). I like my seasons with a definite feel.

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'll do the Snoopy dance with you:

[​IMG]

It's good to hear that you're back in your garden, but I feel like scolding you too. :D However, since I can relate I won't. I'll just be happy for you. Hopefully those ant bites will heal until the weather's good for gardening again.