A bare root Hosta

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Back in February, I ordered a free Filigree Hosta (well, shipping was 8.95).
    So, it arrived on Friday. The company ships at appropriate times for each zone.
    Well, this year my zone is not having our typical temperatures at all. It is still below freezing most nights (although that just has to come to an end soon doesn't it??)
    The directions say to plant immediately, or moisten the roots and store in a spare fridge. I'm not going to plant it in the ground! We just had a dusting of snow Thursday night! My plants are barely coming out of dormancy. Don't have a spare fridge. It says the bare root plant will emit gases that are not compatible with food.
    So last night, I moistened the roots and tucked it back with the soil medium in its shipping box and put it in the garage. It is an attached garage, and is usually at least 10 degrees warmer than outside.
    My question (after this lengthy story) is this; shall I go ahead and plant it in a container? If so, where should I keep it?
    My instinct is to pot it up, and have it start growing. I'm just not sure where to keep it. In the garage, until it warms up?
    This spring is very frustrating to me! It is so cold still, I can't put my trusty Carhardtt jacket away.
    Hurry up warm weather!! I need some heat here!!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I would plant it in a container (large, 5 gallon or bigger) for the patio. They take the cold just fine. In the container you won't be as apt to loose it to slugs or have it misplaced. Most hostas I have ordered are just plain small and if I don't plant in containers they can be misplaced. I wouldn't worry about the weather. I have several that are in patio pots all winter and we got down to 11 F. I will plant with annuals once the weather warms up.

Once you have some size on the hosta you can then tuck it into the garden where you want it.

4. Kay

Hi Jewell, and thanks for confirming my thought.
    You know, I do have three pots in the garage with Hostas patiently overwintering. There is also one out on the south side of the house by the rain barrel that I left there last fall.
    It only makes sense that since they all return every spring, that this little bare root guy would be OK in a container too. I do want to have it in the ground eventually, but this will give it a good start, and keep it more protected. It is a little thing! The roots do look very healthy though.
    Filigree will be fun. It starts out white, then changes to green.
    I am a Hosta addict for sure!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know Kay--if you moisten the roots and then place it back in the package...and the pakkie is made of plastic you would run a small risk that the whole thing would become mouldy.

I personally would soak the roots for a few hours and then plant it up in a container. Now, where to place it? Hummmm.

I do not know your house, but if there is a laundry room or some place that does not get much heat, but has a window--I'd use that until all chance of frost has passed. Then you could safely plant that baby out.

Good luck meid.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Sjoerd, Thanks! You always give good advice! The package is plastic, and I did have that same thought about it getting moldy. So it seems you and Jewell have the right idea, for me to get it planted.
    I believe I have a project tomorrow!
    Planting bare root plants is always interesting, because you just have to be patient while Mother Nature does her magic.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I had to search this Hosta. I have never seen this one. Very nice. I think I caught "Hosta Disease" many years ago.

Great advice guys.

8. Kay

Got the little roots planted this morning. There is the tiniest little pip too!
    I put the pot in my basement storage room for now. No heat vent back there, so it stays cooler than the rest of the basement.
    I also dragged my pots out of the garage that have Hostas in them because I see that they are beginning to grow again. I put them on the south side of house for now, in a protected area and added some mulch.
    It is cloudy, and cool today, but the air has a spring like feel to it. Rain is in forecast, sure hope we get some. Last week we had 1/4" and that is not enough!
    This Hosta will be fun, I can't wait to show you guys!

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I bought some bare root hostas last night and was wondering what to do with them. Thanks guys :D