A bolted plant garden

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by toni, Dec 20, 2018.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was watching a gardening program the other day and the gardener mentioned buying late winter/early spring veggies at the store with their roots on. Planting them in the garden and letting them grow through the Spring, leaving them in the ground when the temps start warming. Like Carrots....when temps get too warm the plants will 'bolt' producing flowers then seeds. We don't like carrots all that much anyway but if I can get some pretty flowers from them I am going to try that.

Common cool-season vegetables: asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, chives, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, Swiss chard, kale, leek, lettuce, onion, parsnips, peas, radishes, spinach, and turnips. Of all these veggies, the only one we eat (and yes I said ONE) is Peas.
    Don't know how many I can find that are not bold-resistant varieties but hopefully buying them from an organic store I can find some for next summers blooms.

I have tried growing veggies to eat but have had very little luck getting the part you eat to do it's thing so I might as well try to get flowers from them. And after they bolt the new seeds could possibly produce next years bloomers.

So after the holidays I am going to start shopping for veggies with roots attached.

Jewell, Sjoerd and Gail-Steman like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am afraid you may be disappointed with these flowers ! Most are tiny and start to wilt the moment they are cut from the parent plant root !

4. toni

I don't plan on cutting them, just looking at them in spots where other plants won't grow.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh ! Thought you meant a cut flower ! Try planting different lettuces ! Come in a variety of shapes and colors ! Some,, if allowed to bolt look like mini christmas trees !

Advertisement
  6. toni

I have seen the flowers they put out and they are adorable.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I may try this with a couple of carrots in strategic places within the beds that lost the old heathers. Should be a nice airy fill-in between the newly planted cone flowers I got deeply discounted at the end of November. Thanks for sharing