A Bright Sunny Morning

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

The Christmas period has been unseasonably mild here in South East England. Although we are now getting frost at night, recent daytime temperatures has reached 14c (57 to you Fahrenheit folks) and today was no exception with wall to wall blue sky all day.

Looking out my bedroom window I saw this little guy checking if anyone was home in the nest box......no chance
    20161229  Anyone in there.JPG

While my wife shopped at the supermarket, I wandered over to the nearby river (I DON'T DO SHOPPING ;-) ) This is the very small river Stour which in the 12th century was big enough to land all the stone for the Cathedral that was brought from France.
    20161229 Peaceful river stour.JPG

Apart from the resident ducks, there were no birds to be seen, just this solitary Common Moorhen. I was intrigued firstly by the size of its feet and then to the fact that they are not webbed???
    20161229  Common moorhen 2.JPG

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It doesn't feel like winter here at the moment either. We've had sunshine all day too although it has been very chilly. Your photographs look almost spring like and were a pleasure to look at.

Raddang likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those pics were enjoyable to see.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd never seen a Moorhen--thank you for a new experience and a new bird to enjoy!
    We've had higher than average temperatures here in central Texas. Yesterday set a new record, 81 degrees, beating the previous record set in 1905 by one degree. We have grass and weeds growing in the barn lot, which pleases the hens, but if I have to mow in January, I will NOT be pleased!

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Curious little (although rather large) squirrel! I wish we were getting some even 'decent' weather here! It is absolutely pouring down rain here - as is close to torrential and about the only small mercy in this is that it isn't SNOW. If it was snow I doubt I'd be able to see out my windows it would be so high. And we don't want to even start on how cold and damp it is feeling these days! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

7. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@marlingardener. The Moorhen is a very common water bird here MG. I am not too knowledgeable about birds in general but I was surprised that its feet are not webbed like a duck.
    81 degrees? Will you stop it please :):)
    @Islandlife I feed my squirells well IL ;)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It has stopped :(. Today's high was in the 50's, with last night's lows in the mid-40's. We are in for a cold spell with temperatures ranging from just above freezing to the high 40's. Winter is such a cruel few days . . . .