A complementary mix

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

While not intentional it seems that some tall bellflowers(Campanula americana) have taken up residence in a patch of shasta daises. I transplanted the daises about 15 to 20 years ago and their previous location was at one time home to a couple hundred bellflowers. The bellflowers were sent packing when the deck was rebuilt. The degree days for both must be close to the same with the shasta daises(Leucanthemum × super bum) coming in first. The height of each works well as the bellflowers are a smidge taller. This year they are tall enough to be seen.
    IMG_1391.JPG

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. Ammi

Ammi New Seed

That’s so pretty! Like a country wedding bouquet.

2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very pretty! Those bellflowers are adenophora, no? Nice combo

2ofus likes this.
  5. Jerry Sullivan

When we bought the house 41 years ago these bellflowers were everywhere, like weeds. The weed of choice to eradicate, however, was black raspberry. War was declared on anything that looked like a raspberry. In two years they were cowering in remote places. The bellflowers watched and wondered. Slowly as the new garden beds were made bellflowers found themselves excluded. One bed however they remained dominant and for years they towered over the area. In one corner of that bed shasta daisies were planted and stayed till the deck was redone. The daisies were transplanted to a new front bed. The bellflowers were not part of the relocation protocol but they hitched a ride anyway. The resulting score was: deck 1 bellflower 0 with one maybe.

As to their classification, adenophora? Too many species of both genus and I only have one to go by, maybe. Tall bellflower seems to fit. Like the Campanula they pop up in the strangest places. They did make friends with some goldenrod but they don't flower at the same time. Again tall fits.

Jerry

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

This is a closeup of the plant in question. I never really tried to identify it. It seemingly grows unchecked in the yard. Can anybody identify the species?

Plant_in_Question.jpg

Campanula? Adenophora? other?

Jerry

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry, check out the Bluestone Perennial website. They show 1 adenophera & tons of campanulas. You can see what you think. My vote is still adenophera.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Adenophora looks close enough. O.K. Thank you MG for the website. So I have lots of adenophora growing where it likes to grow. :) Adenophora originally came from Asia with some in Europe. They are cousins to the other bellflowers in the yard. I don't know if they are on the rabbit's menu. Hmmmm...they have a common name of ladybells. Easier to remember.

Jerry

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018