A couple of roses

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Jun 3, 2008.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

While I had the camera out I couldn't resist taking a couple of rose pictures and a couple of other pictures. First a red rose. Most of the roses here are pink.
    [​IMG]
    So, the next ones are pink.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I've been planting flowers in the terrace in the front. Impatients for the most part but a few moss rose and dianthus and some petunias.
    I took this picture in the evening and it's very shady so a little dark. I haven't progressed to making things lighter yet.
    [​IMG]

A purple petunia
    [​IMG]

We went away for only 10 days and while we were gone the grapevines tried to take over the backyard. I really need to gather them up and tie them to the arbor or fence.

[​IMG]

dooley

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. luanng
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Gorgoeus Roses!!
    I love your idea of the step beds. Maybe I will steal that idea for my side yard which is filled with weeds right now and is a slope. How did you make those? Any tips?

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your flowers are lovely, dooley! I like the step garden too. :D Now all I need is a slope...

5. dooley

Hi, Tina! In that one in the front I used bricks because it's only about six foot wide. Each terrace is about 15". The bricks wouldn't stay in place when I watered so dr took 1x3 boards and faced them and keep them in place with short pieces of rhebar pounded into the ground.
    In the back garden, I wanted longer terraces so I used 4 x 4's about 12 ft long. You just dig flat as wide as you want the bed and put your boards or bricks or whatever along the sides. You can put them almost level if you dig a little down at the edge or you can fill them with soil like a raised bed. We always pound in the rhebar to keep the boards in place. You could use railroad or other landscape timbers for edges. Large rocks may work but the water would wash the dirt between them. I made the ones in the back about three feet wide so I could get two rows of vegetables in each one. Hope this helps. dooley

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks Dooley. This is definitely going to be my next project. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wow Dooley that first rose is a real beauty. Your stepped garden looks so attractive - what a great idea!!! Don't sit on those chairs for too long because I think that grapevine will grow over you!! ;)

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Beautiful, richly-coloured roses. I think they are stunning.

9. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

The colors are so great. Looks like things are taking off for you now Dooley. I like the step beds also, great idea. Thanks for sharing.

10. dooley

Thanks everyone. I worked yesterday and today trying to get neglected things cleaned up. Now, I have to take a couple days off because my knee is aching. I know I'm not supposed to do certain things but sometimes you have to do what needs done. I did get my plants put in pots or beds. Our lot is on the side of the hill and seems to go down hill every which direction so it only seemed right to terrace things instead of trying to plant on a hillside. dooley

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Your flowers and beds are so pretty Dooley.I just need to see it all with my eyes in person :)

12. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Roses

Love the color. I have cut back my plants with Black Spot and look forward to new blooms on my Nearly Wild, Tamara, and Society Climber. Roses are so resilient, I just love the way they come back.

:stew2:

gardengater

13. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Dooley, Your roses are tres magnifique (French for very magnificent). They should be in Empress Josephine's rose garden at Malmaison in France.

14. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@dooley beautiful roses I just adore them but that red one is outstanding :heart: it mate :like: