A few beetles from the garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Kildale, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

There are lots of beetles that visit gardens and here are a few of them. Just click Garden Beetles.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was watching a documentary the other day about the surprising amount of creatures that exist in our own gardens. So many different types and all in different shapes and sizes. They were saying that if, and when, new species are discovered they'll probably be by someone simply digging in his own back yard. From the array of beetles you've shown us I can see how easily this could happen.
    I can actually count the grains of pollen on some of yours as the photographs are so clear. :stew2:

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You are such a wonderful resource for flora and fauna in the PNW. If you ever put together a composite book please let me know. Fantastic as always.

5. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I did buy the program "Indesign' as I have wanted to put together a book or two but never got into it. My son said I should get the images that I want to use into a file and we will look at it over the winter. (He lives 600 miles away) I did author a coastal book with Hancock Publishing, I had about 140 images in that one. Any ideas about what to include? I was thinking about the forests, from parasitic plants through lichens and fungi to the birds and dragonflies, we could include a couple of ponds. Let me know of any ideas that you may have.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I use the Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast by Pojar and Mackinnon a lot (Lone Pine Publishing). It is a must have for coastal PNW plant info. Everyone I know who gets outdoors has it and it is reguired for some college classes. This is a format that works really well for reference and is entertaining/educational as well. One of the things I really like about it is it will have multiple photos/maps with environment, leaves, flowers/berries on some specimens. The notes really are helpful also.

It would be wonderful to have such a set of books for birds, insects and reptiles/amphibians.
    The trouble is for the amateur naturalist there isn't a book equivalent to it for insects, reptiles/amphibians and birds. The Audubon field guides are OK but are pretty general and not really specific to our region. There are a lot of books out there just for the east coast, but not the west coast, and especially not for the coastal PNW.

What's the name of your book? I tried looking for it and wasn't successful on the Hancock House site.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They're such lovely creatures once I take time to look at them. :D Several of your beetles are also common here. Good show, as always.

8. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Hi Jewell. I have been out with Andy Mackinnon a couple of times with a few other naturalists. I can send you a book if you PM me your address. Three of us did a book each, I did the coastal one,just click
    Coastal flowers