A Few Questions for the bird loving/watching Stewies

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Stephinalta, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Stephinalta

Stephinalta Seedling

Hello Bird loving/watching Stewies, I have a question for you on behalf of my 7 year old niece.

A few days ago she bought a Wooden Bird house kit with her allowance money that she has been saving up, She put it together last night only to find it was pretty small, & she got upset saying the birds wont fit & they wont have a house during the cold winter.

I told her there are small birds also, & then I thought I should show her pictures on the internet of the birds, so we can watch for them in our yard.

I knew that if anyone knew what small birds would be in my area Stewies would. Hopefully if she see's the birds in our yard she wont feel like she wasted her money, which is how she feels right now.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any small birds that live in my area (North Central Florida, Zone 9)?

they would have to fit in a hole that is a little bit bigger then the lid of a 20oz soda bottle, that is the size of the entrance of the bird house.

--------
    Also, I saw a really neat "bat house" the other day, I was wondering if anyone has one of these?

Do they work?

& will birds live in the same area as bats?

or if I get one should it be far away from my bird house collection?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can't help you out with the types of small birds you'd find in your area I'm afraid. I do know that, here in Scotland, we have many birds that would fit into a box the size of your daughters. Do you have a bird feeding station in your garden? If not it would be a good idea to have somewhere for the birds to eat that can be seen from the house. That way your daughter will be able to see for herself just how small some of the birds are.

As regards bat boxes - birds won't use these boxes as they are built in an entirely different way to bird houses. As bats are nocturnal I can't see them being a nuisence to the birds or vice versa.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Try putting in the Bird forum .com and check around for birds for your area. I belong to the forum but only check out the birds for our area...Good luck with your bird house. Around here the birds do not use birdhouses for winter use, just for having their young in the spring and summer. I have no reason why they don't use the houses in the winter, all of mine are empty right now but fill up in the spring..

5. idalreadytaken

idalreadytaken New Seed

I'm sure you have wrens down there. They'll nest about anyplace too. It would be good to tuck it away in a quiet spot at least 5 to 6 feet off the ground. I have a little bitty box Mrs House Wren uses every year. Even small boxes can be a good place for them to roost in cold weather!

6. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

A proper kit will be designed for certain birds.

A hole 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inch is designed for House wrens and down your way and you should have Carolina chickadees.

These two species of small birds will readily use nestboxes (no perches).

Place the box 5 to 6 feet off the ground and in some shade.

Wrens don't mind if the box swings some.

Be sure to mount it where it is safe from cats, coons and squirrels.

Ron