A new lease on life

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Northerner, May 25, 2018.

1. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

So I've been a member here for a very short time. But in this time I've grown fond of the vibe this social environment creates. So I feel the urge to share more about myself and what makes me tick. I wasn't sure where to put this so if there is a more appropriate place, please do move it.

So for starters my name is Jeffrey and I live in a small town in Southeast Wisconsin with my wife and 2 beautiful children ( daughter she 4 and son age 10). I've always been interested in gardening although I've really not been in a situation where I could be free to do what I would like to do. On new years eve my wife and I signed the papers to our forever home.

As great as that seems, life hasn't always been so great. Over a year and a half ago I chose to live a different life. I was neck deep involved with alcoholism and drug abuse. My life was quite caotic and all I really cared about was when my next drink would be. During this time most all of my hobbies were forgotten and collecting dust. But in the summer months I would always have something growing. I lived in an apartment so all I could do was a few tomatoes and a couple pepper plants. Heck my green thumb has had many experiences, like the time I grew a bunch of marijuana plants in a crawl space. Oh the good ol' days.

So I was active in my substance abuse getting drunk and high every day. It caused trouble in every aspect of my life and I needed a way to stop it. One night I was up late drinking and watching late night television and one of those commercials came on about substance abuse and rehabilitation. For what ever reason, I picked up the phone and called the number on the TV. Next thing I knew I was on a plane headed for California to start letting go of my addictions with a 28 day program.

I learned alot about myself and what makes Jeff tick. I learned I was suffering with bi-polar depression and I started taking meds and talking to therapists. It was amazing how much different the world felt through a set of clear lenses.

So here I am now over a year and a half sober. I've regained trust with my family, I'm doing fine with work and most of all I love myself again.

So now that the snow has cleared and weather is great, I'm getting my hands dirty and I have a menu of projects I want to accomplish this summer. So now that I'm in control of my life I keep myself busy putzing around my garden and just being outside. I find that being outside is very therapeutic. If I have a bad day I can always find something to fiddle with.

So that's a brief summary of what I'm about. Thank you for letting me share.

Jeff

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jeff I'm so proud of you!! :smt023 You've turned your life around completely and have shown you have the strength to resist temptation. Your family must be relieved that the old Jeff has gone and the new one enjoys them and his life now. There's one addiction though that I hope will stay with you for the rest of your life - gardening!! The best therapy anyone could want and if you feel the need then we're all here for you. :)

Northerner likes this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very nice story and a great outlook. The best wishes for your continuing journey.

Northerner likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What an amazing story! Congratulations on your sobriety Jeff!
    Can't wait to see what you do with your gardens :)

Northerner likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Good luck to you from me as well. I know only too well the effects that depressive type illnesses can have on one. Hope you can keep going in the same manner.

Northerner likes this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks so much for sharing. I've been on the forum a long time, and the old timers here know that I have a son who is an addict, who used for many years, and in the process threw every aspect of his life completely away, resulting in homelessness. For a few months I didn't know where he was, didn't know if he was even alive, or dead in a ditch somewhere. That was a hard time for me and his siblings. We are a very close family. The good news is that he's in recovery now, has been for 3.5 years jft, but as we who are familiar with addiction know, an addict will always be an addict, ;) the only question being whether they're active or in recovery. So I attend and hold a service position in my weekly Naranon meetings as well as activity in an online forum, so that I will be OK no matter the choices my RAS makes!

Kudos to you for seeking recovery! Gardening is excellent therapy. I look forward to hearing more from you about your gardening efforts, or whatever else you care to share!

Northerner likes this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jeff, when you have the courage to tell strangers from around the world what you have been going through, then you have the courage to make the process of staying clean a permanent thing.
    Dig into the dirt in your garden, there is something healing in the soil, the fresh air, birds, plants, squirrels, pretty much everything about gardening....except maybe the ants but (unless they are fire ants) they are a minor problem. ;) Or just sitting on the ground and planning a garden is good.

Northerner likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Congrats for pulling it around Jeff. It's never too late for someone to change their life for the positive and stories like yours are proof of it. Glad to have you here with us :stew1:

Northerner likes this.
  10. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Gosh what a story. So glad you made that call and turned your life around. I’m glad to meet you Jeff.

Northerner likes this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am happy for you and so proud you made a good decision about how you wanted to live... Nice to meet you Jeff.

Northerner likes this.
  12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have had similar problems in my family so I do understand and am so glad that you made that decision.

Northerner likes this.
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

How wonderful that you made that call !! Just remember you have a team here cheering for you !! Glad you joined Gardenstew and glad that you like yourself again !!