A nice brisk day

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by CrisGzr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

The temps dropped to lower 50s (11C) with a light rain and I was able to get out and transplant all the irises to a sunny location in front of the transplanted lilacs. I can only imagine that these plants will enjoy sunlight for the first time in at least five years. The irises had many big tubers and many little ones.

I have been MIA, but occasionally lurking. -the yellow jackets took over and wouldn't let me near the garden! I was also busy taking a writing class during Sept which kept me very buys as I awaited the chill that would knock out the wasps.

Nice to be back in the dirt! Good riddance to the oppressive heat.

-cris

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Chris, you were missed while you were away... Wondered if your Huskies had buried you in the back yard or something.. Those Yellow Jackets can be dangerous (even deadly) if their nest/population gets very large and you may have to take drastic measures to eliminate them..
    Hank

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

thanks, I was stung a few more times but no delayed reactions. I learned there are two kinds of yellow jackets. one causes a delayed reaction, one doesn't. I've been reading up and apparently, if you can get the queens in the spring when they wake up, you can eliminate any colonies, since only the queens survive the winter.

I am beginning to see Aug/Sept as my yankee winter. Everything cooks and there is no doing anything outside for me or beasts. Now, it's below 50 and even when it's rainy I am thrilled to get dirt under my nails again!

I am looking forward to lilacs and irises in the spring.

I took the advice of one Garden Stew member (can't remember whom) and mixed the fireplace ashes into the lilac's mulch.

good to be back!

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

It's been a rough gardening year for many Cris. What's that they say about strength in numbers :D Nice to see you back!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those yellow jackets are horrible little devils. We just had to deal with a big nests of them.
    You probably know this already, but the best time to spray them is right when they come to roost at sundown, or first thing in the morning before they "wake up". And then knock down and destroy the nest.
    You'll win this battle, I can just tell! :stew2:

7. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Thanks Frank, we had a cancer scare with out big boy Mukki, he had a large tumor behind his ear, actually looked like he was growing a new ear! The surgery was fine and tests came back benign, so that took a lot of pressure off! I was very stressed.

I wish I could send the excess rain to those who need it. We are pretty saturated here...

This is my favorite season, a friend sent photos of the foliage in Quebec, I'm so jealous! but we have a few yellow leaves here. They seem to be falling before turning colors

good to be back!

Frank likes this.
  8. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Cheryl we sprayed and sprayed morning and night but they built the last round of nests either deep inside thick boxwoods or in a large woodpile! Of course, there are the ground nests... grrr. I am determined to get the queens in the spring!