A spicy question, a germ of an idea.

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Jerry Sullivan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Does anyone know if any of the peppercorns in a typical pepper melange sold in grocery store spice sections are viable? Or does the preparation process before drying render them untenable for germination? My winter experiment, 7c-2012 (germination of peppercorns) is not doing well and I was wondering if I was barking up a dead tree. :-(

Jerry

P.S. The spice section has oodles of prospects for spring "will it grow experiments" :)

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry, I think you can do it but they must be black and plant in very very warm conditions. So maybe you should wait till Summer. I think it takes years to get flowers and seeds. They may do well in the greenhouse in the Winter after a good summers growth.

I don't think you will get enough to use in a pepper mill. LOL The way the hubby in my house goes through peppercorns I would need about a million plants... :eek:

4. Jerry Sullivan

I guess the experiment(now 12a-2013) will shift to the summer. 7a-2012 and 7b-2012 germination of lemon and lime seeds are doing well.

Jerry

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I know you can plant seeds from dates and get date palms. My boys did that in Wisconsin but it took about six months to show through the ground and they were about to give up. It was about 3 ft tall when we moved to Arizona and we couldn't take it. It was in a large pot by then. I don't remember what we did with it. Gave it to a cousin, maybe.
    I haven't tried to do peppercorns but maybe they take as long to germinate.

dooley

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Dooley! Dooley! You remind me of one of my first posts asking if a plant was a date palm........wait.......I will be back.........I FOUND IT!!

Did your palm look like this??

[​IMG]
    Date Palm 2? ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Date Palm 1? ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

This is exciting!!

Jerry

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Yes, it starts with just leaves but as it grows it gets a trunk and the leaves are at the top of it. I don't remember how big around it was but it was at least three feet tall. We couldn't take it to Arizona because of plant restrictions. They do grow very tall, I know. There are date palms in Phoenix taller than two story buildings.

dooley