A walk through Ritchey Woods

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by TheBip, Aug 11, 2014.

1. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ritchey Woods is a nature preserve not too far from home. Its usually peaceful, even when there are people there (though of course I prefer them not to be there! haha).
    A lot of the pics of flowers need ID, so feel free to throw em out there. Ill number them to make it easier ;)
    Since there are 106 pics, Ill post a few then the link to my photobucket.

I also saw a herd of deer, maybe 8 or 10 although I couldnt get a picture. Too far for my phone camera :)

[​IMG]
    Dragonfly on cattails ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Funky...seedpods? ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

No one knows who these people were. There are 3 regular size headstones (or remnants of headstones) and a small one I think was for a baby or child. The small one just has O M E on it and the others are so faded its impossible to tell if there were names or dates on them.
    [​IMG]
    Pioneer cemetary ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Ksgodde ... t=3&page=1

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Polly
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. DeepWoods
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

How cool! Sure would be odd to be walking in the forest and then suddenly come to a small cemetery like that! Were the headstones vandalized?
    Looking at the seedpod reminds me of Arum, but that's all I can tell you.

4. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Not sure of the seed pods, but the cemetery looks like a family plot, probably of the original owners of the land. If you feel like playing detective, you can probably go to the town hall and trace the ownership of the land and find out who they were and who's those graves are.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is beautiful. I would love to go see that one day.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a lovely nature preserve! Thanks for taking us with your on your walk. :)
    With permission from the proper authorities, you might be able to get at least some of the engraving on the headstones to show. We helped restore a historic cemetery and learned that powdered chalk, rubbed into the headstone, makes the lettering more legible. The advantage to the chalk is that it washes off in the first rain, and does no harm to the stone.

7. mikemikemike

mikemikemike New Seed

This is a pretty old post but figured I'd place this update here if anyone else comes looking for information on this cemetery like I did. :)

Found this on another website, I don't know how old this info is but the person said the following...
    This is from RWNP staff, "Mike Kroger, a local eagle scout, placed the fence and gate and did some research for me. Here is the history I have on it: This cemetery is believed to be the cemetery for the Osborn family. They moved to Hamilton County in 1835, from Ohio. They farmed on the area that is now part of Ritchey Woods. The family included Ebenezer, his wife Hannah, and their nine children Aaron, Joseph, Harmon, Mahala, Benjamin, John, Mary, and Anna. They occupied this land until Ebenezer’s death in September of 1860. It is believed that he, his wife Hannah, eldest daughter Harmon, and first child Aaron are all buried in this cemetery, yet it is not known for sure because the stones’ writing has faded away.

During this time period it was common for the graves to be positioned at an east/west orientation. The settlers’ feet would be positioned toward the east and their heads to the west so they could rise up and face the new day when their bodies were resurrected. As you can see this orientation was used in this cemetery.
    "

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks for reviving this old posting. Interesting about this family.

Could that growing seed head be jack in the pulpit....before the seeds turn bright red?

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that it could well be Cayu; however, arum's and other plants have similar berry stems. The thing that makes me think that it is an Arisaema is the thickness of the berry-ball, other types have more slender berry-balls.

Cayuga Morning likes this.