Advice wanted about daylily culture.

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by Cayuga Morning, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,

I have 2 wonderful daylily cultivars planted in less that ideal conditions: not enough sun. These plants were new last year & they really haven't grown much in a year. I would rather not move them as I am still hoping they may do better. So here is my question: would it help to fertilize them? If so, should I do it now before winter or wait 'til spring? Or both? When I planted them, I dug decent sized holes & improved the soil with compost. They are mulched with bark mulch. They have gotten a reasonable amount of rain during the season.

2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Fertilizing daylilies should be done twice a year. In the spring as new growth emerges and once again after the plant finishes flowering. Avoid fertilizing later in the fall. You can still fertilize now.

Jerry

3. Cayuga Morning

Thanks Jerry. I will do it tomorrow. These are 2 of the daylilies from Seawright Gardens. I do miss that place!

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have heard, more sun more blooms. I have never fertilized mine but I do use worm compost around them.
    Good Luck...

Advertisement
  5. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

is an all purpose liquid fertilizer ok for them?

6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Ref Daylilies I have grown them for many years and always found them in a good general soil to be very obliging with their growth and flowering. A feed now and then would be/is welcome I guess since to me they are pretty vigorous and make a deal of top growth. I use a general granular or water soluble feed. Have also read the "more sun more blooms" comment plus in the shade less flowers but they are bigger and can last a little longer - mine are in sun. If you have room perhaps try some in both situations and compare. Either way or whatever I would not be without them - just have a few varieties as space is limited and I like as many different plant species as I can fit in. Syd.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sometimes the grower doesn't cull out the runts but sells them along with the healthy ones. If the bulbs were younger than 2 years old when they were sold the first year is a time for growing healthy roots with very little top growth.

How deep did you plant them? Too deep and they don't grow properly.
    Is there a drainage problem where they are planted? They do not do well with constantly wet roots.
    Also, the time of year they were planted will affect their growth. In the north if they are planted too late in the fall they might not have enough time to become established before the ground freezes, then they either do not survive or their growth suffers.

They really need at least 6 hours of full sun to reach their full size and bloom potential. Some will survive in part shade but they really are not happy and will show it by stunted growth and fewer and smaller blooms.

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Mine certainly do best in the sun and even here where the weather is milder only ever plant in the Spring when the ground is warming up and everything is raring to go. Syd.

9. Cayuga Morning

Thanks all. I fertilized them in August. I plan to give them another year in their current location, fertilizing them this coming spring and again after bloom as Jerry has suggested. Conditions are not ideal but I'll give them a chance there to see if they can cope.

Thanks all.

10. Cayuga Morning

Thanks for the patch Henry Johnson!!!