aesthetically hiding metal structures in false ceiling

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by dy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dy

dy New Seed

Please help in hiding those hideous metal structures. Modern open living space area.

Thank you.

[​IMG]
    false ceiling ( photo / image / picture from dy's Garden )

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is it possible for you to post a photograph of the metal structures to let us see? A picture is always helpful so that we can see exactly what your problem is and then we can help you out.

3. dy

dy New Seed

Photo posted. Thank you.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    How do you feel about painting the beams and ceiling a couple of shades lighter than your wall color? The beams would blend in, but still give you the architectural detail people pay big money for.

Looks like it will be a lovely large space. What is the lovely large area in the back?

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  5. dy

dy New Seed

thank you Jewell. I was aiming to cover the beams completely without using the standard wooden structures. This will be a big chimney room with a kitchen, modern and casual. the area also incorporates a master bedroom, a guests restroom and a multipurpose room.

6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I was thinking out of the box so to speak. You could us wood paneling that looks like wainscoting. Just glue it to both sides of the metal beams and the finish off the bottom with a wood molding cap stained in the same color. Usually the paneling comes with molding to match. Or you could us a paneling that looks like white tile and then just paint your ceiling the same white. I think the paneling would be the way to go, and not to expensive. :stew1:

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Hope you will post after photos. Can't wait to see what you decide.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What was supposed to go there? did someone not finish it or did someone start a remodeling project that you inherited? I say paint first and see if you like the difference before spending a lot of money to cover it up. Do you want it covered or are you looking to keep the "open" feel to it. Otherwise install a drop ceiling, maybe?

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like Carolyn's ideas, paint it and see what it looks like or cover the supports with a ceiling. Do you have enough height in the room to do that?

Another really wacky idea is to install lighting fixtures in the ceiling, then attach lattice to the metal supports, painting the supports & the lattice the same color. Maybe you would have weird shadows everywhere..hmm....

10. dy

dy New Seed

Thank you all again. Well, this is the final ceiling height since we can no longer lower the ceiling. I am not aiming for a traditional idea. Since we can not afford to hire a professional consultant, I had to search for the solution myself and I really like creative ideas. the problem is that I am not creative enough to solve this problem.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

With a little help from friends....

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It looks like someone started to cover the first one with dry wall, but I wonder if each one was covered would it be too deep to be esthetically(sp?) pleasing once the lighting was installed or finished. It doesn't look like it is wired yet, just a few extension cords running under the ceiling. But if that was done then maybe a few pendant lights in between each set of supports may work. That way you wouldn't get a lot of shadowing from being right up at the ceiling level. Just throwing some ideas out there, not necessarily anything that will be suitable, but maybe spawn an idea or two to get moving in the right direction.