After 37 years, it's last call for a daylily farm.

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Almost 4 decades of selling thousands upon thousands of daylilies and hostas our local daylily farm is going out of business. The owners are retiring. For three weekends in July the public will be treated to a once in a lifetime half price sale. Generous clumps will sell in groups of three. After that the non-profit organizations will dig for their causes and then the gates will close one last time.

Sold to an organic farmer, the acres that once saw thousands of daylilies will host peas, corn, beans, etc, etc. An interesting caveat to the new farm is that when you dig up daylilies you never quite seem to get the whole thing, some roots remain. Next year I plan to look to see if the daylilies are watching the veggies from strategic points. It will be interesting.

A multitude of daylilies waved in the gentle breeze that crossed the open fields as I arrived for the third morning of the sale. I had E-mailed my order in with first and second choice selections, sellouts were becoming more common . My order was sitting in tubs of water waiting to be bagged. Eager hands helped with the bagging and I was soon rolling a large wagon to my car. The trunk(boot for the people across the pond) was FULL. There was a lot of pushing and shoving as I drove home. I kept telling them we will be home soon, it did not help much. A chorus of cheers greeted the opening of the trunk.

[​IMG]

A couple of wheelbarrow loads had the lower frog pond full of thirsty daylilies. Now the frogs were complaining, can't please everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The purchase was premature as I had few spaces ready to plant roughly 240 fans of daylilies. The great pot roundup followed and I managed to find about 30 before I ran out. No, I still needed about 10 more. The frogs were happy, they had their pond back. I had the potted plants lineup for a family portrait.

[​IMG]

Not all the buds remained on the scapes so a few had their day in a bowl.

[​IMG]

It will be a busy week of two, musical chairs will have daylily clumps moving to new locations, some older clumps will move or be replaced. I think I have purchased my last daylilies for awhile. For those that recognize the pedigrees of daylilies, the tetraploids have more than doubled. Only because of seeds do the diploids still outnumber the chromosome ladened tetraploids. I will be freezing pollen for the bee brush. Next summer will be interesting.

Jerry

Frank, oubee, donna in nc and 12 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Nice story Jerry, but also a bit sad.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yes, sad to see such a lovely business closing its doors. But your garden did benefit, and I can't wait to see the blooms.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:drool: :drool: Gosh look at all those gorgeous daylilies!!! I can understand why you filled your boot with so many. If I'd been there with you I doubt if they'd have had any stock left.

Advertisement
  6. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

omgosh how beautiful you lucky duck your yard is going to be just beautiful tfs the flowers and the story

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Jerry Wish I was closer. And bring DH pick-up.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, you "rescued" so many day lilies, not just for yourself but for all of us on the Stew. We'll get to see them planted and blooming, and enjoy their beauty (without the work, :D ).
    I'm so selfishly happy you got your lilies!

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

What a haul! I can hardly wait to see them all planted and blooming.
    By the way... love that screened-in porch!

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yeah, I noticed the screened-in porch right away too! I'm loving all those flowers, though I agree the story is a bit sad. But you will be continuing their legacy with your massive purchase! Well done.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I agree with everything said!

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry--I had missed this post! I am glad you told me about the sale so I could get over there myself.
    I love your 'family portrait'! What a magnificent haul!!!

I had a similar thought about various daylily cultivars sprouting in those fields for years to come. It seems every time I move a daylily I find I small sprig growing from an missed root a year or two later. These plants are unquenchable.

Good like with your new relatives.
    BTW is your avatar bedraggled because you are exhausted by all the daylily potting up?

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I can't wait to see them all blooming next season...it should add quite a bit of color and beauty to your yard....I am moving some of mine to a new area. Please make sure you post a picture...

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That was a sort of bittersweet situation there. I think that it was a wonderful opportunity for you to keep the lily lines going for the various types that you selected.
    I shall be looking forward to some pics next year.

15. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

That was a bit sad...but just think of all the joy that your family farm gave to a lot of people....you deserve a seat on that nice screened in porch of yours with some tea and just rock away with a smile on your face for a job well done!!! Just know around your town/city there will always be a part of the farm for others to enjoy!!!

GREAT JOB TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY :-D