After 75 years of faithful service......

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, May 9, 2018.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

the hoe I liberated, 'found', 'acquired', OK, stole from my grandmother, has given its last day of service. I got it long after she was no longer gardening, and did not and would never use it again. The head can no longer be firmly attached to the handle.

So I am in the market for a new hoe. Sneeboer, Dewit, Red Pig Forge,and Homestead Iron are all in consideration.

I'm not just buying a tool, I'm buying an heirloom to pass along someday. All are a bit spendy, however, buy once, cry once.

Henry Johnson, Sjoerd, Frank and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, I sympathize with your loss of your grandma's hoe. I am still using my grandfather's hoe--has to be at least 100 years old or more.
    A few years ago Ace Hardware had a "buy one, get one half-price" sale on garden tools, and we bought a garden rake and another hoe. Both have wood handles (so much easier on the hands than fiberglass), are strong, and the heads are well attached to the handles. We use garden tools often and sometimes not too gently, but these have held up under extreme circumstances! When I was in Ace last week, I saw the same tools for sale. Take a look at them and see if the quality and price are what you are looking for.

fatbaldguy likes this.
  4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Yes Miss Jane, wooden handled tools are the way to go! I just finished ordering one. A Sneeboer, I'm sure Sjoerd will be delighted. I will give it a full workout and report back as to its utility. I don't mind spending money for quality.

Edit to say, I have purchased tools before that I have tried to 'save money' on. It has never worked out for me. I have always been disappointed with the tools construction, quality, and longevity. I'll not spend money twice for the same tool again.

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I still use my Grandfather's spade. It has had three new blades and five new handles, but it is still as good as it ever was.

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have no 'pass me down' garden tools but have bought several at yard sales. They are much better made and last longer than most new ones. Shovels are my downfall. I don't know how many handles I've broken. Mike keeps telling me the that they aren't 'pry bars'!

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I love old tools! We are still using my grandparent's hedge clippers (husband figured out how to take them apart, sharpen the blades, and then reassemble), shovel, and big garden rake. Somehow they fit the hand better and do their share of the work.
    2ofus, I've done the same with a digging fork (actually bent one of the blades!) and the handle on our trenching shovel. I was amazed that you can't purchase a "D" handle--one is expected to buy the entire tool!

8. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Gotta give props to Garden Tool Co. Placed an order, had confirmation in less than 5 minutes. An email from a co-owner in less than 10 minutes thanking me for my business. Then, a notice that the item had shipped with a tracking number in less than 30 minutes. That is service that can't be beat. They're Texans too, I suppose that has something to do with it.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  9. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I used a masonary hoe and it was fan-tastic. It's like a regular hoe... Only bigger. Hoe on steroids, super hoe, mega colosis hoe. A hoe by any other name would not be worthy. Anyway... Good hoe... I recommend it.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Henry Johnson likes this.