Aldi's grocery store?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Feb 27, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Does anyone have any experience with Aldi's grocery store? There is one opening tomorrow in a nearby city where we go once a month or so to get specialty items not available at our local grocery. I have no complaints about the HEB grocery we shop at here and in the city, but competition is a good thing!
    I know Aldi's has a deposit on carts and customers bring their own bags, but what about the quality of the goods and price comparisons?
    I trust your opinions over what the advertisments say!

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've never heard of them.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

There was one in Chino Valley, Arizona and we stopped a few times when we were up that way. That one combined a grocery with other stuff sort of like WalMart. I thought the prices were much better than down in Prescott or Phoenix but that was a while ago so I don't know about now. I could make you some shopping bags if you need them

dooley

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

We have one here, about 25 miles away. I go there sometimes. Their milk is usually HALF the price of milk in regular stores and just as good. Some things are much cheaper, especially produce. They carry their own brands on most things, usually their brands are fine, but sometimes I prefer other brands. I guess you have to try it and see which ones you like or not. They do not have everything a major store has, but you can get a lot for your buck if you comparison shop between the stores. They charge a 25 cent deposit on the carts, but you get it back when you return your cart to the corral. I don't use their cleaning products because I get my favs elsewhere, and they do not have my favorite brands.

If you forget to bring bags, they do let you take boxes [free], or they have bags for about 10 cents. They also sell cloth bags you can reuse any time. I have all kinds of reusable bags, but generally forget to take them. I have not tried their pet foods, so can't say there.

In general, their quality of goods is comparable to other brands, however, I find exceptions sometimes. They usually have extra virgin olive oil for less than half the price of say Walmarts. It is very good olive oil.

I sometimes shop at a local chain salvage grocery store, plus a couple of regular stores. I just keep an eye on prices, and try to get the best deals. It saves a lot of money for me.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Aldi moved in up here in the Dallas area about 5+ years ago, there are several of them now. We went when they first opened a couple of times but haven't been back, I like Kroger so much better.

We did find some frozen hamburger patties that we liked and some other meat too. But (now this was about 5 years ago and things could have changed) but the canned goods were a disappointment. Way too much water/very little product and the product was over cooked.
    The selections were limited too. It's a bare bones discount chain based in Germany. There are some products that they limit the number a customer can buy...i.e. two to a customer and you have to have your own bags, some stores don't sell bags but do have boxes. The cart deposit gets you a coin that you put in the slot to get a cart and the coin is returned when you put the cart back in the rack.

But like I said our experience was 5+ years ago so you might want to go shopping there and get some things that you normally eat and compare for yourself.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you all, those comments are most helpful! We rarely buy canned goods, but I probably won't try the Aldi brand, Toni. I'd likely prefer Kroger, too, but that isn't an option around here.
    I have lots of reusable bags, so I do appreciate the offer Dooley but unless my bags fall apart, I think I'm set!
    Good to know about the olive oil Nightowl. We use a lot of olive oil.
    We are going to let the dust settle around the new store and try it next month. I'll report back!
    And I do appreciate having a bunch of trustworthy people to ask questions of :-D .

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I have done some shopping at our Aldi's but not to often. If I am looking to save some money on fresh veggies like peppers or such. I will make a trip there. But I hate running to two different stores to get my shopping done.
    I usually shop at Festival Foods. They have a really nice organic dept. :stew1:

9. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

There is an Aldis near me.It does a booming business. I never make the mistake of going there on Sats.I shop there some.We just have the habit of stopping at a couple other stores on our way home.One has a deli & good salad bar.Other carries some things that Aldis doesn't,like giant bags of Sunflower seeds & raw peanuts that my parrot eats.
    I've never found any questionable stuff there.
    sNs

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have an Aldi store about a mile away from our cottage. We shop there for milk, fruit and veg, ice cream and yoghurts. They have some good deals on household cleaning products and loo rolls etc. I find I can get branded shampoo and conditioner there at a very reasonable rice - same with deoderants. We don't by eggs, bread or meat from them as we get those fresh from a farm and butchers shop.
    They have some plants too but you have to be careful and get there early to pick the best ones out.
    Our Aldi also does things like cycling gear, horse riding stuff, some clothes, bedding and towels. Nearer Christmas they have some items that are ideal gifts.
    I don't shop for 'big brand' names - if the stuff is value for money and does what you want it to then I get it from there. Why pay double, or more, just for a brand?

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Have shopped in Aldi a few times and it was generally positive so I would give them a try MG.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, don't hesitate to go there. There is only a quarter that you put in the slot to get a cart and then you click it back into the chain of carts and you get your quarter back, they don't keep the quarter.

Their food is excellent quality and I have found very few things I didn't like. Their fruit and vegs are some of the best quality/values in our area. I go there for my main shopping as the other couple stores available are Walmart, Giant Eagle($$$) and Buehlers($$$). No deals at any of them. I don't buy the frozen meats. That, I wasn't impressed with, but we all have our expectations on meat. I usually go to a small grocery store meat case closer to home. And yes, you do need to take your own bags, but that works for me, too. Who of us doesn't have them stashed. You pack your own bags as you want. I would rather put my own groceries in the bags and I know what where is.

Toilet paper... canned foods, specialty items (seasonal), trashbags (the big black plastic ones...I always buy. They are sturdy and they stretch, not split) Are all a good value and deal. Not only is their food worth buying, paper products and other items, too.

13. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Never having heard about them, I will have to visit the local store if I am in the area.

Jerry

14. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

My mom used to shop Aldi all the time (its actually Aldi, not Aldi's...I watched a documentary about the company lol). I dont really shop there much cause their selection is rather limited, but the food quality is pretty decent, considering. I dont like their 1% milk (too watery imo), but I dont remember having issues with the vit D milk. The prices -are- very good too.
    They sell plastic and paper bags (10 and 5 cents respectively) or you can also grab any empty boxes you see around (we used to do that all the time). The store near me I think also sells reusable bags for about $1 or so.

15. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

We shop there all the time. We have one right in town.There meat is out of this world and a lot cheaper. We get there bonless pork chops and bonesless country ribs. They both are so tender you can almost cut them with a fork. They do not carry the big name brand items. Do not go the first week of the month. That's when the food stamps and wefare and a lot of Social Security checks come out. There shelves will be empty. You do have to pay a 25 cent deposit for the cart, but you get it back when you return the cart to the cart area. They used to have some great NY strip steaks that were reasonably priced, but have not had them for a couple of years now.

16. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hmmmm, I might have to revisit the one near us. It was only the second one in this market so they might have improved over the years.

About 15 years ago Food Lion made an attempt to enter the Dallas/Ft. Worth market area but they only lasted about a year. So many problems, bad food, poorly run stores, etc.