All About Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by jnnwyman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. jnnwyman

jnnwyman Seedling

Taking the mystery out of bulbs.

"Bulbs are easy to grow, provided that you stick to some essentials. Probably no other plant group gives as much variety and pleasure to the gardener with so little effort. And if you don't have a garden, bulbs do very well in pots and containers. If you know a few tricks, some can even be induced to flower indoors!

Bulbs can be divided in three groups: spring flowering, summer flowering and autumn flowering bulbs.

Well-known spring flowering bulbs are Tulips, Daffodils, Crocuses, Hyacinths and Alliums. Spring flowering bulbs have in common that they need to be planted some 3-4 weeks before the frost is in the ground. They need the cold season to start their biological clock. Hence in general spring flowering bulbs will grow in climate zones 4-8.

Well-known summer flowering bulbs are Dahlias, Begonias, Lilies, Gladiolus and Callas. Summer flowering bulbs are planted late spring. A couple of months later they will bloom. Summer flowering bulbs will bloom in most climates but most of them are not winter hardy. Hence in cold climates most summer flowering bulbs should be lifted and stored to be used the next season.

Well-known autumn flowering bulbs are Autumn Crocuses and Colchicums. Autumn flowering bulbs are planted in summer. They will add some colour to your garden when it is most needed."

(The above information comes to us from:
    http://www.tulipworld.com/
    At the bottom of the screen.)

2. Loading...

3. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I really like all kinds of bulb flowers and there are so many to choose from.Thanks jnnwyman for all the great tips!!!

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Thank you so much for the links - I have scads of daffodils, bluebells and lilies, but there's a sort of gap in the color each year that I'm looking to fill with some late-blooming bulbs. I'll have to see what there is- I love them, shoot, I love anything that pops right back up all on its own! 8)

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Bumping this back to the top for a moment, do any of you have recommendations on online ordering companies that are good for interesting bulbs? I'd like to preorder some tulips for this fall and wondered if you had any favorite growers.