American Gardens

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The guy that I like to watch every week during the summer and fall months is Monty Don and his show, "Gardeners' World". His regular show will not resume until March, but he made a three part special about American Gardens. You guys may enjoy seeing this from the perspective of a British gardener.

Clay_22 and Jerry Sullivan like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I love this kind of garden

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Except for those truly magnificent primroses looks like many wild gardens or parks during the spring in this region, Coastal PNW. Lots of forest with ferns and rhododendrons from Northern California into British Columbia. Not typical of where I grew up though in the inland regions.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not a typical garden where I live. You might see something like that at a Botanical Garden/Park or some extremely wealthy home in the northern half of the U.S. up into Canada.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am glad that you guys enjoyed this little vid featuring some of the large and well-known gardens there. It is part one of three, so if you want to see gardens in your part of the states look them up on youtube (part 2 and 3). I think that you will like them. If you cannot find them, let me know and I will post the links here.
    Thanks for your comments.

Jewell likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

That garden video clip could have been taken here as most of the plants in it are grown in this area of the Pacific Northwest of North America

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Island-- the Pacific North West is featured in episode three, I believe.

Islandlife likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What area is highlighted in episode two?

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi TONI---
    "In the second episode, Monty goes south to explore gardens of early independent America and learns how the history of this part of the country is still very much evident in the places and people he meets. He visits the famous garden where President Thomas Jefferson, one of America’s founding fathers, enjoyed spending his time seeking out seeds and plants for his thousand-foot vegetable garden.

From there, Monty travels south to Charleston, which boasts some of the most beautiful trees in the world, and learns about the life of its plantations.

In Miami, Monty visits one of the most spectacular Renaissance recreations built on marshland, and then joins an orchid hunter in search of rare plants only he knows how to find.

Monty ends this journey in New Orleans, where he sits beneath the huge oak trees in the square where jazz was born and hears why this green space was such an important part of that city’s history. It is a journey full of surprises, colourful exotic tropical plants and extraordinary fairy-tale houses and gardens".

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sounds great SJ, a real tour!

The video you posted could have been filmed in the mid-Atlantic states ( as well as the Pacific NW). I loved the fine old specimens of rhodies....clearly a very well established garden. Large deciduous azaleas (Exubury?), lovely candlelabra primroses, Japanese maples! Oh I was is gardening heaven!

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad you liked that Cayu. His series of three covered many large gardens, but by all means not all I am sure. Personally I only know of a couple there, so it was interesting to me from a "getting to know" aspect . The series covers east,middle and western USA.
    It was all very nice, but I am waiting for his normal show to re-begin in March.