An interesting cure

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Kay, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I just have to tell about this. Over the years, as a gardener/landscaper I have had my hands in some dirt now and then. About ten years ago, I developed an infection in the nail bed cuticle area of my thumb. It was so painful, that I went to the doctor for help. It was diagnosed as Paronychia; a fungal infection of the cuticle/nail bed. I was given antibiotics, and after several weeks, it did get better, except my nail is weakened and has a ridge in it that splits when it grows. I have to keep it trimmed really short. The infection recurs every once in a while. It is really hard to keep my hands clean and dry in my line of work, but I do the best I can.
    So, this past season, it was especially persistent, and I usually have it bandaged while working, and have tried all sorts of remedies. I am stubbornly avoiding another doctor visit!
    Last Friday, I was at the local health foods market to stock up on vitamins and a sales clerk asked if I was finding what I needed, so I mentioned my thumb which was particularly sore. I was considering Tea Tree oil, but she steered me to something she uses. Colloidal Silver Plus. It is a liquid and also contains Olive Leaf, and Wild Oregano Oil. It wasn't terribly pricey, so I brought it home.
    It has a dropper. as it is liquid, so I put some onto my poor thumbnail, and covered it up with a bandage. On that day, my thumb was swollen, red, and very tender to the touch. Didn't give it too much thought, until later in the evening I realized that my thumb wasn't very sore. I unwrapped it and was amazed to see the swelling was almost gone, and it was less painful. I applied more and wrapped it for overnight. The next morning, the swelling was gone, and the healing was very noticeable.
    Now it is Monday 3 days later and I can hardly tell it was ever infected. I am truly amazed!
    The sales clerk told me she drinks it (mixed in water) I'm not so sure I want to be doing that, but this has really been a cure for me.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I had an infection of the nail bed on my left pinky several years ago. I use a tincture of Propolis and Myrrh for cuts, scrapes so I put some on a bandaid put it around my fingernail, changed it twice a day and over about a week the infection was gone and has not returned.
    I drink a few drops in water daily for it's antibiotic/anti-fungal properties. It's great for treating sinus infections.

Did the sale person have a blue tinge to her skin? Too much for too long will turn your skin permanently blue. :eek:

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Kay, was the infection a result of working in soil or was an existing condition exacerbated by constant exposure to soil? Interesting solution.

Jerry

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kay,

My mom is a firm believer in all things collodial silver based. On Sat. she took my dad to the ER and he was diagnosed with pneumonia...she sounds as bad as him, but she refused treatment and is using her concoctions of homeopathic cure-alls and is not on medicine and is feeling better. So I do know there is healing power in the C Silver.

Glad your thumb is doing better, too.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Toni, I didn't notice that she was blue tinted...I saw the post with the guy whose skin was blue Yikes! I read warnings while Google searching, and am not planning on drinking my silver. I will be using it for cuts and stuff.
    Jerry, Although not 100% certain, I really believe my initial infection came from a charming old garden I worked in. When I started, it was overgrown and neglected with a lot of old moldy debris. (Geesh, I worked hard that summer!!) I may have injured my nail bed, and the fungus got in. I am so careful now, I clean up so much better than I used to, change gloves frequently, and wash them regularly.
    Carolyn, Hope your parents get well quickly. I have always been open to alternate healing methods. I resist the doctors office!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad you found a remedy than worked for you and that the infection has now disappeared. :-D

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

ky, wonderful post! we have been experimenting with c. silver also with our dog's ear that is a biy inflmed. seems to reeally help. a neighbor of ours uses it for pink eye and any other problem she has with her animals. i think it's like any other medicine, using it in moderation.

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hmmm. I am rather leary of it. I tried it once because friends recommended it. The next day I had a horrible sore throat AND a fungal infection [thrush] in my mouth, and had zero symptoms or problems the day before. It could be a coincidence, but I am not persuaded.

When I get infected fingers I use anything with menthol such as generic Ben Gay products and or Vitamin E salves. My fingers have a tendency to split around the nail beds in winter which is very painful, and is due to other health issues that I have. They usually clear up in 2 or 3 days.

I am glad you got relief however.

10. Kay

nightowl, What were you taking it for? I I think these things may sometimes work for some folks and not at all for others.
    I did read to try Vicks Vaporub on my cuticle. I tried Neosporin and that did absolutely nothing. I have a feeling this nail/cuticle problem will be an on going thing for me. I can not keep my hands out of the dirt!