An Ode to my dishwasher

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by marlingardener, Apr 16, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've been married for 45 years, and never had a dishwasher until we moved to Texas. I felt I didn't need one; my big mixing bowls and favorite pans would be sitting dirty in the dishwasher when I need to use them; and it was a waste of kitchen space. Thirty years of being dishwasher-free!
    I was wrong! When we moved into the house in town there was a dishwasher. I actually had to call a friend in NY to find out how to use it. When we moved here to the farm, there was a dishwasher in place.
    I love my dishwasher! I admit, I bought another set of big mixing bowls, and I still hand-wash silverware and glasses, but that little machine sitting under the counter is such a blessing!
    Does anyone else have a relationship going with their dishwasher?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes Jane one that's lasted well over 40 years - he's called Ian!! ;)
    Seriously though I don't have a dishwasher and have never felt the need for one - yet.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I washed dishes by hand for many, many years without complaint. When we wanted to renovate a few years back, Hubby suggested he could put a dishwasher in the kitchen island. I love it! I still have a few things to wash by hand, but it has saved me so much time! More time to spend in the garden :headbang:

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The dishwasher is one appliance I feel is a necessity. It not only washes them, it also hides them until I get around to unloading it!

Beeker, 102christa and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I had a dishwasher in my previous home and loved it. It was old and when it finally died, I used it as a drying rack for the hand washed dishes. Either way, it was very convenient. I ended up getting another dishwasher, though.
    I have since moved to a different location and there is no room for a dishwasher and hardly room for anything else in the kitchen, so that's that.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love my dishwasher. I wouldn't be without one anymore. I have a switch. I have to have the feature that I call "rinse and hold". You know, not a wash but just a quick rinse. So since it is just me and the hubbers, I rinse and hold every time something is added and wash about every 7 to 9 days. It is full for sure when I do it. I also do not put aluminum, plastic, wood or silver in it. So it is really just stainless flatware, dishes, glasses and the like. So I do quickly wash up the few things that, don't go in the dishwasher, after each meal. That's how it works for me....