An Old Fashioned Boy

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

zzz9.jpg

Do you guys do this?
    This takes me back to my grandparents and my parents...now I'm doing it...have been doing it.
    My bride has no trouble calling me "old fashioned" when I display another of my quirks.
    The towel that I use is a typical Dutch towel and print. We normally use these old fashioned towels for drying dishes (we have some modern ones as well, I hasten to add).

There are a couple of shops where we can still buy these...along with other old household goods that were popular generations ago. It is amazing that they can stay open for business. I have written about this little store in Alkmaar on here before. I is featured on this thread: https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/a-day-off.20038/

Here is what the cloth covers...it is covering the fruit in the bowl so that the unripe ones will ripen a bit from the already ripe fruit that emits a sort of "ethanol gas". That's what they told me anyway.
    zzz9a.jpg

I'm wondering if any of you have old fashioned traits like this old fashioned boy..

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Old-fashioned traits? I am old fashioned through and through. I cover my rising bread with a damp linen cloth (no lint), dry laundry outside if at all possible, use a cast iron Dutch oven my daddy used on camping trips, and the list goes on and on.
    I figure if anything has worked for all these years, why change it?
    (I also have a cabbage leaf bowl similar to yours that was my grandmother's)

Henry Johnson and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Another old fashioned thing is that my mum would put a coaster on top of my OJ in the morning with breakfast, ("so that the vitamins don't fly out"). Oh dear me....I do not go this far.

I so enjoyed reading your posting Jane. Give me an old fashioned girl any day. hahaha

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

When I told a little boy at church that we used to have a penny candy store in the tiny town I grew up close to, that you could go in and buy pieces of candy for a nickle from mrs. Krabill... the floors were wood and squeaky with huge glass window in the front and I would take my pony cart in so into town... I was informed "my, you really are old enough to be a grandma, aren't you?" so, I guess at 49 I qualify as old fashioned.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, you are not "old fashioned" but you are experienced, sensible, and have good memories. I prefer to think of us as "tried and true" rather than old-fashioned!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice posting Carolyn. I agree with Jane. I agree with so much that she says, that this is just another thing. hahaha.
    What was the "grandma" comment all about?

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have a little friend at church who has no grandma in the area. he calls me grandma. the sweetest little boy ever in the world. I love him dearly. he sits with me every sunday and has for the past several years when he is there. they moved to the area a couple years ago and started assembling with us. nice family they have 8 children and I am the apple of his eye. As far as I can remember he has never sat with anyone else except his father a few times.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Isn't it wonderful how children gravitate to the best and kindest people? I bet that's why that darling little boy sits with Carolyn.
    Sjoerd, you make me blush with your comment about agreeing with me. :rosy:

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I still use the same type of dish towels my mother used, dry my laundry on the line when possible, and I love my cast iron pans. I'm always told by my kids that I'm old fashioned, even though I like some of the new conveniences like the internet.
    My Mom has the same cabbage leaf bowl too ... and matching salt and pepper shakers and salad tongs! I've had my eye on that set for years and always told her that if she ever wanted to get rid of it I would be glad to have it!

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAROLYN--Sorry for just getting back to you. My PC monitor went-out on me. I just got a new one a few minutes ago.
    I see what you mean now.
    That was such a touching story that you told about the little boy. You are so purely nice and the bairn must pick up on this.

That's what I am trying to say, JANE...what you just said.
    No need to blush--It is true though, that I so often agree with you, in content and method of delivery.

Wow NETTY--imagine that...the same type of fruit bowl. I did not know that one could get matching S&P shakers and other accessories.
    As for using "old fashioned" things--well, I like the concept of using what is practical; and if it happens to be old-fashioned, it doesn't ruffle my feathers.

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.