An unusual bird question

Discussion in 'Bird' started by margie12u, Jun 2, 2012.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

My husband built me a bird house it was so nice and heavy I put it on my deck just to look at a few weeks later to my suprise we had 5 little blue eggs, and now just a few days before they are to be born something knocked it of the rail of the deck 2 of them were dead but there are still 3 inside,Will the mama come back or not, if not is there anything I can do to help the babies to make it, I am so up set and sad,please help! I have watched the mama bird make her little house all this time, she worked so hard was it just to loose her babies, I took a towel and set it back on the rail so maybe she wouldn't smell my scent and thought she might come back but I haven't seen her yet this morning. :'( Thank you for your help Margie I know this is a crazy question and its just bird eggs but it just drives me crazy that it was so close to her time, Boy that really sounded crazy didn't it, Thats it I'm loosingit for sure LOL !!! Thank you all

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi margie12u, From now on you need to secure the little house better. Also think about whether it is in a poor place for predators to get at. You may wish to move it to a better place. If the babies are making any noise the mama will hear them. she may or may not chance it and take care of them. Watch from away for you being there will keep her away.

I would like to share this with you. Mama's are not so timid as we thought in the past.

The kids in our neighborhood brought me 4 baby wrens. I feed them cereals and meats for a week. All of a sudden I heard birds chattering outside my window and the babies perked up and talked back. I tool them outside in a shoebox while the parents followed me and scolded me. I put them down in some weeds alongside of our yard. The parents finished their job until the babies were old enough to hop out of the box. I got to watch a beautiful thing.

Since that time when the kids pick up baby birds and give them to me, I make the kids show me where they got them and I just hold them in my hand showing all birds for parents to claim. Many times they do and I give them back to the parents. The kids learn so much from that. If no parents show up, well then, I do the job for them.

Barb in Pa.

4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

It was probably a raccoon that tipped it over. He was just being nosy and after the chicks.

5. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

the birdhouse was really heavy he made them out of tobacco stalks, but I will make sure next time to nail it to the deck,, It was going to be a beautiful thing I have watched it from the begining were she first started bringing sticks and things making her nest.We really never thought they would nest in it,Just for looks we thought.

Thank you all Margie

6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Margie sounds like Blue Bird eggs. That's to bad. But if it was a raccoon, fastening the house down won't keep the eggs or the chicks safe. Those bad guys just reach in the hole and pull out the eggs and little ones and eat them. :-x
    There isn't to many animals I really dislike but they are one of them. Plus they are major rabies carriers. I can imagine you feeling sorry for those little ones. I would also. :stew1: