And there goes the Milkweed

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by toni, Jun 28, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Found this when I went out to water early today. I have two Milkweed plants on each side of the front yard, two of them have cats on them so far.

I wonder if the plants will recoop after the cat becomes the butterfly :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    And there goes the Milkweed now. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

They sure are hungry little fellows.I haven't seen my cats on my Passion Flower vines.I sure hope they show up.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I hope your plant will recover from the onslaught, Toni. What a gorgeus caterpillar. And I hope the butterfly will stick around and add more beauty to your yard.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've been checking my Milkweed and haven't found any caterpillars yet. Milkweed grows up wild all over my yard and I can't keep it ALL so I make sure to check it first. It seems to recover just fine after the caterpillars are done :)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You have such colourful caterpillars in your garden. All I have at the moment is the dreaded Red Lily Beetles. :(

7. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Monarchs are just arriving here in Michigan.

Amazing, the day the butterfly weed started to bloom and i saw my first one.

Yes, the weed will recoup just fine.

They have to for the next batch.

Ron

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

No caterpillars on my Milkweed yet either.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Nothing yet here in Wisconsin...

10. SusanLouise

SusanLouise Seedling

Wow...Lucky you! Our milkweed plants are nearly 5' tall. We've only had a few Monarchs visit so far...and saw our 1st mated pair yesterday. Unfortunately, as they were clung together in mid-air after being able to take a pic of them on a branch, they didn't stick around long enough for the female to lay eggs... :'(

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from SusanLouise's Garden )

11. Babaloo

Babaloo New Seed

Yes your plant will recover, it will help to keep it wet. I've several pots of milkweed I'm keeping in quarantine from a part of the yard that is infected w/spearmint. I've been using them as caterpillar feed and they have stripped each plant & since within a month each plant has completely regrown their leaves:)

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice fotos, Toni.
    I know that all that eating looks pretty scary, but I suspect that the plant will survive.
    BTW, when the caterpillar becomes a chrysalis, will it stay there all winter in that stage, or will it develop and fly off to Mexico before the snow comes?

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We are on the migratory path for the Monarchs so they don't stay around here very long, that one probably headed north as soon as it could fly.

It only takes a Monarch 30-40 days to complete it's life cycle. It is amazing when you think about it...the Monarchs that will be flying down to Mexico in a few weeks are grandchildren of the ones that flew north last spring.

I had to transplant that Milkweed a few weeks ago, I misjudged the shade pattern where it was. It is doing much better now and starting to bloom...just in time for the Monarchs to enjoy on their trip south.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see....Boy, how lucky is that!--being on the flight traject for the migration.

It sounds like your transplanting was successful. I did not know that one could transplant that plant with success. Well done.

It would appear that the caterpillar has really had a few full meals on the milkweed.