Annual reminder - Backup your data!

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Frank, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi all,

Woke up this morning and my computer decided to call it a day. Probably the hard drive has failed.

However, all my important data was backed up online so not as stressful as it could have been :)

Please save all your memories, you'll kick yourself if you lose them!

Happy New Year!!
    // frank

Palm Tree likes this.
  2. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Thanks for the reminder - real good advice this.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

After I lost all my data a while back I've made it a regular habit to back-up my computer every 2 weeks. It doesn't take long and is well worth the effort. :-D

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I just backed up all my stuff last week. Once you have a computer crash... you learn that backing-up is your best friend!

Advertisement
  5. Frank

Apologies for my (mostly) absence these days. They are still trying to figure out what is the problem with my laptop. It's more serious than the harddrive I think.

First on the list when I get back is to set up this month's Pic of the Month poll.

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks for the reminder Frank...

7. Frank

Ok guys I'm back online but it took shelling out for a brand new laptop to achieve it :( Getting used to this new one, but I do so dearly miss my previous one.

Bad news is that I lost the list of photos that were up for the Pic of the Month consideration, so it may take some time to trawl back through the topics again.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a pity your old laptop couldn't be fixed Frank. Good news though that you have a nice new one to play with. :-D

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You have a second opportunity to make a really cool garden junque display....but you don't have a garden now. :rolleyes:

10. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have a new external hard drive sitting here on the desk in front of me. One of todays chores is to start an automatic backup system for my computer. Dan explained it to me last night so maybe I will get it done. The book says plug it in and follow the directions on the screen. I can do that, maybe. I'll holler if I need help but it doesn't look to be a big job. I hope getting the directions for my camera are as simple. dooley

Frank likes this.
  11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I got the external hard drive put onto the computer. it set there like a lullmp because I was stumped for what to do next. I finally remembered there was a backup program on my computer. It used to tell me to set up a back up. I didn't have one so I ignored it. So, I went looking for it. I found lots of interesting stuff on here that I will have to explore further but my object was to back up the hard drive. I finally found it under, "Getting Started."
    It was easy to set it up and now my handy dandy external hard drive will back up my files every Sunday at 1 pm.
    I finally narrowed my firewalls down to one that Dan downloaded for me.
    Today, I pursued getting my camera software downloaded. After three hours I gave up. I found a number and called their support teaml. I got some good information so I will try that again tomorrow. It's too late for frustration tonight. I really need to sleep. dooley