Another Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Kiasmum, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Hello,

I'm Karin and I've just found the GardenStew after putting a search in Google and was able to find an answer here...
    My flower garden is mostly container-based as I like the flexibility to move plants if they're not doing so well or I feel like a change.At the moment I'm trying all sorts of flowers to support the bee population.I like to take photographs of my successes.

We also have a small vegetable plot which we converted to raised beds 4 years ago.They are so much easier to work with I don't know why we didn't do it sooner.

This has been a disappointing year for growing anything as we've just come through a series of very dry winters straight into an extraordinarily wet and cold spring and summer. Still,we're not downhearted and will be ready to go again in 2013.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Karin and a sunny welcome to GardenStew! Been talking with my parents and they always telling me how wet this summer has been for them. I hope 2013 is going to take away that bad memory!

Feel free to jump into any discussion here. Such a friendly bunch of folks :stew1:

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Karin and a warm welcome to GardenStew from West Lothian in Scotland. :-D
    The bees have only been in evidence over the last few weeks as we've had such a dreadfully wet spring and summer here too. :( None of the fruit trees were pollinated so, therefore, no fruit. :'( I'm pleased to hear that you, like me, are trying to plant to encourage them into your garden. Fingers crossed that next year things will improve for them.
    I look forward to getting to know you and to seeing some of your photographs.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Karin and welcome. Sorry your gardening year has been challenging, we are HOT and DRY this year. The extreme opposite of yours. We usually have a few weeks of too dry weather here in the summer, but this year has been the worst in decades. The drought is so severe their farmers are losing their crops in the fields. :'( .

Advertisement
  6. donm

donm In Flower

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania.

Don

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hello, and welcome from central Texas. Sorry your weather hasn't cooperated with your garden. But you have the right attitude--next year will be better!

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Kiasmu Welcome from another spot in Pa, not to far from Donm.... Very eager to hear your garden and flower stories and to see your pictures.

Barb in Pa.

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Welcome from Va. You're going to like it here.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Welcome from SE Texas. Can't wait to see everything you've got in those containers and raised veggie beds.

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Karin, welcome to GardenStew from Chelmsford MA, USA. We are the friendliest garden group on the internet. With the many blogs, gardens and forums there is always something for everyone. If the weather patterns stay this way for the foreseeable future, gardeners will have to adjust their techniques to compensate. In the mean time we still have fun. Welcome aboard.

Jerry

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Welcome from another spot in Texas. My garden this year has mostly been weeds. They seem to grow when nothing else does. Keep trying and something will grow even if it isn't exactly what you wanted.

dooley

13. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Wow! I've never had so many "Hello and welcomes" :D

Gardening sure has been a challenge this year and I'm sure that if it had been my first try I would be giving up right now...I planted out my tomatoes pretty much on time and 3 months later I pulled them all out again as they were exactly the same size and showing no signs whatsoever of getting any bigger. Same story with the potatoes-planted 1 short row(only 4 seed potatoes)my husband 'harvested' about 10 very small in return.

Our best and only real successes have been the strawberries out in a raised bed and the Cape gooseberries in the Greenhouse.I have hopes of some sweet potatoes too but they aren't ready yet.

Onward and upwards and thank you all for saying Hi!

Frank likes this.
  14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

A warm welcome to you from the wet and chilly coast of north-west Norway. :stew2: Take heart! The last two summers have been no good for growing anything here, but statistically it's bound to get better, yes? :D Hop in and make yourself at home. I'm looking forward to stewing with you.

15. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Thank you Droopy. We can only hope for better things can't we :rolleyes:

I do like the phrase under your avatar picture.Slugs and snails have been slaughtered in their hundreds here this year.I am a woman on a mission to save my plants from their onslaught. Salt is my friend.

16. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Karin sending you a big welcome from a Stewer in Wisconsin. I agree that this year has be a challenging one. You are a person who thinks like I do when it comes to slug. This is me when I get my salt shaker in hand to do battle with those slimy bugs. :twisted: As I shake it on them I say die you little buggers die. They can really do in ones plants. But we also have earwigs that can do as much damage. Glad you found this great gardening community with folks from all over the world. We love seeing pictures. :stew1: