Another Mini Project

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Doghouse Riley, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

For any woodworking jobs around the house or in the garden, I 've always relied on my ancient Black & Decker "Workmate."

Now this has had a "gammy leg" for at least thirty years. So I either have to use it on the low setting or stick an axle stand under one corner to use it at a more comfortable height, though still not exactly level. I recently tried to get a new leg for it but they aren't available.

.jpg

A couple of years ago, a neighbour gave me a work bench.
    it's formed from Dexion type metalwork, all "L" shaped bits of metal that lock together.

Trawling eBay,I came across this new cast iron vice for twenty-two quid.

.jpg

So I ordered one. I decided I could fix it to my bench.

Not an easy fix as it needed a horizontal surface to bolt it to, normally the underside of a solid wooden bench. Not a half inch thick bit of chipboard.
    But I had a spare piece of the "L" shaped shelf support, so I cut it down to make a 2ft long "L" shaped support that I bolted behind the bit that supports the top And attached the vice to the horizontal part of the "L." It's as solid as a rock..

.jpg

The storage below is the sideboard we had in the lounge which got replaced by a new one from Dwell a few years ago, Plus some drawers from one of the filing cabinets in the shed where I keep odds and ends. (the cabinets got "recycled" from my office when I gave up work).

.jpg

I've no Idea for what I'm going to use this vice at the moment, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh,, Don`t worry !! There will be many uses for that !

Doghouse Riley likes this.