Another way to grow watermelons and Cantaloup.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by FountainMan, May 7, 2012.

1. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

I planted Cantaloup and Watermelon. But with a small space and knowing how much space these plants take up I came up with an idea that so far is doing well.

Basically I took some steel poles and riged them with wire and have the plant growing at the base of the pole. The tendrils of the plant grip the wire and the vine is able to grow vertically up the pole. This way space is conserved and the fruit grows off the soil. To help the plant with the weight of the fruit I can attach a sling to the pole when I get fruit.

I would have pictures of the Cantaloup but those are growing slower. Not much to see on them at the moment.

Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    Watermelon pole. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Watermelon pole side shot. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

Theodoros likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The sling should be interesting to see as the fruit develops.

Jerry

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

What variety are you growing ?We raise 4 or 5 types each year and some of those weigh in at 40 to 50 lbs. Hope you have a strong sling. Neat idea though.
    The cantaloupes may be a problem. When they are ripe they separate from the vine on their own. You will have to watch those pretty close.

5. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I've seen a variety of cantaloupes grown on a trellis with slings tied in as they grew. The variety was Minnesota Midget. These are fairly small melons and it worked out great.

I think some of the smaller watermelon varieties would work too. But, I'd be prepared with something to hold that weight just in case. I grow small water melons. I've been saving my own seed from a melon I bought at the grocery store. I'm guessing they are Sugar Babies but I don't really know. I've had some weigh 15 lbs or more.

Hope you'll show us pictures when you get melons. Growing up would sure save space in a lot of our gardens.

6. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

CONGRATULATIONS :-D