Answering annoying phone calls

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Aug 25, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There is some dubious charity that calls me monthly. "Is Renee there? Well, maybe you can help me". And here comes the pitch for a donation. Had the same call (third time) this morning, and I replied, "Oh, didn't anyone tell you? Renee broke her leg and we took her out behind the barn and shot her."
    Then there is the call wanting money to send "Grannies on vacation." I told them to sign me up for a vacation in Southern France, and I wanted spending money, too. They haven't called again.
    Do you get annoying calls and after a while just bite back?

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I get those calls and the robo calls that have been unleased upon us. I just double click the on/0ff button on the of the cell phone it blocks that number. Of course they have many different numbers all set up and ready to use when needed so sometimes I am double clicking and blocking 3-5 of those calls in a row all from different numbers.
    If you have an android phone or landline blocking doesn't work.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh yes we get them here too. I pretend they are through to a police station and that all 'phones are monitored and calls are traced. That soon makes them hang up and they never call again.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

What I get are health care and for extended warranties on my car ! I tell them I do not need to save money,, I need to spend money !

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great stories, ladies.

Smart alec answers don't always work though.

In the U.S. the following technique always worked for her. The folks just scurried away fast, like she had some sort of disease, but not here:
    We got a couple of J-Wit's on the door once and so my Bride just told them that she was an atheist....and the woman said, "Oh... well we have something to talk about then". hahaha

6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I gave up my landline years ago.

I don’t answer ANY calls that aren’t in my contacts. When they are, the name Of the caller pops up. When they’re not, it’s just a phone number. I wait and see if they leave a message, which mostly means the call is legitimate.

No message = I block the number so I don’t have to deal with it again.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

My usual tactic is to say "Hang on a minute!" Put the phone down on the table and go back to what I was doing. Then return in about fifteen minutes and hang up.

Sjoerd likes this.