Ants in my pants - Organic methods to keep ants from plants?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by rick162iq, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rick162iq

rick162iq New Seed

I just started my raised garden beds. Ants are moving in. How do I keep them out organically ? Anybody have any tips ?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Diatomecious earth should be a good addition to your bed. You can buy it in organic. Safer markets one at (I think) Lowes that is not organic. It has an additive to lure and kill insects. Otherwise try a farm store or similar and look for a brand called Red Lake DE. It is most likely, in the chicken products area and it is organic (or go on line and look it up).
    Not only will it kill the creepy crawlies, it is a very good additive for the soil. It is mostly silica and our plants and bodies need it. I actually add it to the cats food (as a natural daily wormer) and I mix a drink for me and drink it for its healthy benefits. It is great for ALL living organisms, just make sure you are using the organic product if you are consuming it. Just try not to inhale it, especially if you have asthma, but once it gets wet it will not be dusty and it does not lose its effectiveness, either. Just sprinkle it around the ant hill or where ever they are at.

Frank likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Make sure it is food grade DE not pool DE. The DE used in pool filters is chemically treated and is a respiratory hazzard if ingested or inhaled.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Toni, I wasn't thinking about the pool filter kind and should have remembered, to mention the difference. I am sure there are other marketed brands besides Red Lake, it just happens to be a brand offered from the hatchery where I get my chickens, by the way( so, if you have a chick hatchery close, check out what they offer for supplies). I pick mine up in a 50# bag from the place where I buy my greenhouse and farmer market supplies. They offer a large amount of organic products...so check around, you never know where you may run across the product.

Advertisement
  6. rick162iq

rick162iq New Seed

Thank you so much. I will run to the store and get some today.

7. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I live in the desert and ants are a major pest here.
    I use food grade diatomaceous earth around plants.

But, when I see ants moving I go find their hill.
    Stick a funnel in the hole and pour boiling water down it. The water doesn't actually have to be boiling. Water from the coffee maker does just fine and the little spout makes pouring easy.

I've done as many as three pours over a couple of days to kill all the ants. Be careful where you use this. You don't want to cook your plants roots.

I've also used a chop stick or knitting needle to open things up a bit.