Ants,..Swallows,..And Cats.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Philip Nulty, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Edlou8181
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Edlou8181
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I just watched the video and Missy Mama was quite intrigued by the swallows too! :D She was looking around, wondering where those birds were!

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Deanna,
    i am laughing out loud here,..i can just picture Missy Mama,..thinking,..oh a treat,..swallows in the office,..Hudson used to get very confused hearing barking come from the bedroom,..there is a computer in there,..also one of my cats "Tiny Tim",..sits in front of the TV,..and sometimes makes a swipe at the text running across the bottom of the screen.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh you weren't joking when you said those ants were swarming!! It looks as though your whole garden is covered in them!! :eek: At least the swallows have plenty of protein 'on tap' and just in time before they all fly back to South Africa for the winter. The cats seem to be finding the birds as big a source of interest as the swallows are finding the ants. :-D

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Good video, Philip, I like your kitties!

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I enjoyed the video. If the fire ants around here sprouted wings... I'd be moving far away!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That's a lot of ants.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Eileen,
    the entire garden was covered in them,..i happened to be inside at the time they started,..then noticed them flying inside the front room,..oh and they bite,..but at least the Swallows were well topped up before they head off to Africa,..which should be soon.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Hi Henry Johnson,
    there are 10 felines at present,..some not feeling very well,..sneezing and coughing with weeping half closed eyes,..that was last night,..today its just the odd sneeze and cough,..and only one with a bad eye,..childrens cough medicine mixed with cat milk is doing the trick,..plus some eye ointment,..otherwise its a visit to the Vet at 30 Euro per feline,..300 Euro or $411,870,..ouch.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Cheryl,
    ours bite,..but its a brief hot needle like pain,..i take it the name Fire Ant is a description of the bite?.

Hi Carolyn,
    for once i had to keep my mouth shut,lol.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

How much $$$? $411,870 really, or is that mis typed? 411.87? Still a lot of mulah!

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    nope that's correct USD 411.870 or 300 Euro,..it is a lot,..but for 10 cats i suppose its expected,..at 30 Euro per cat.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, decimal points work better than commas for monetary value over here. as you have it written it really says to me $411,870.00 I was just clarifying this for my ownself. You know,.... that is almost 1/2 million dollars. :rolleyes: LOL I couldn't afford to own any animals or even take my children to the vet for this amount of mulah. Now for $411.87, maybe, I would be able to take my children for their shots or whatever they needed.

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Philip: we just had the ants do the same thing here in Wis. They seem to swarm about this time every year. So I always am watching for them when they are starting to do that and stay indoors. Our swallows do enjoy the feast as well.
    One evening a few years ago my honey and I went for a bike ride not having a clue the ants where going to be swarm that evening. :eek: As we where heading back to the house about a miles ride from where we were. Out came the flying ants :eek: :eek: I was horrible having to ride back home. One definitely did keep their mouth shut for sure. At least ours don't bite. But I hate being outside when it's happening.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    yes i tend to put in a comma instead of a dot when typing money figures,..i must watch that,..someone somewhere could get a lot more cash than i intended.

Hi Tooty2shoes,
    just like you when those Ants swarm,..i kept my mouth shut,..i can imagine you coming home on the bike,..aaagh,..swarms!!!!they start swarming so sudden like,..not in drips and drabs,..the entire colony seems to head off,..though i expect there must be more down below in the nest.

Before they get wing they do give a nasty bite,..but strangely with the winged ones i have,.. so far!,..not being bitten,..i shouldn't feel sorry for the ones who just took flight only to be eaten by Swallows,..but i do get a tad.

15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great video...I love it when our swallows dive after the bugs when you are mowing the lawn.... I hope they are good flyers because I wouldn't want to get hit in the head by one. It just amazes me to watch them doing it.

16. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sherry8,
    i wasn't feeling very safe when the Swallows were dive bombing on the Ants,..i have spotted Swallows badly judging a dive at an insect,..and ending up in the water,..one such incident always remained in mind as i was on land and unable to do anything about it,..were i in the boat it would have being rescued of course.

I am smiling to myself here trying to picture you mowing the lawn,..Swallows dive bombing,..and you ducking constantly,..appearing as if you were genuflecting,lol.