Any German Members on here?

Discussion in 'Jokes and Games' started by Zigs, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

:D This just had Tetters and I in tears :D

Netty, Droopy, Melody Mc. and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Haha that made me laugh!
    My parents were German, but I was born in Canada. German was my first language.
    My friends always told me that German was a very angry sounding language :chuckle:

Cayuga Morning, Zigs and Logan like this.
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Faulty towers, don't mention the war

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I saw that show, Loggie. It always makes me weak with laughter. That Basil is bonkers innit.

7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yes it was good and still is, yes he was bonkers.

Melody Mc., eileen and Zigs like this.
  8. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I have a few friends who are German, and it's a language I would have liked to master as I really like the gutteral sound of it. I did, nevertheless find this portrayal of it as hugely amusing, and had another look at it today.
    It is the dutch language I cannot get my tongue around, and find the pronunciation impossible :confused:

Melody Mc., eileen, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  9. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I managed to drop the German word for Badger into a business meeting in Leipzig :D

Cayuga Morning, eileen and Logan like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

My brother tried to learn to speak German to go to Austria in the 70s but found it difficult to master it.

11. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

My grandfather and his sisters spoke German. They were second generation Americans. At the time, the midwest had many German speaking communities - the towns, churches, schools, newspapers, all in German. That was pre-WW1. The books and newspapers were in the old German script, and so was the handwriting. By the end of WW2, all of those were gone. I was the first class to study German at my high school. My grandfather tried correcting my German, but his version was two generations and two wars out of date. I'm not even sure if he spoke mainstream German - they were Alsatian.

I'm taking Spanish lessons now. I would like to study Japanese too, but I don't think my brain can handle it, and learning the characters would be impossible.

When I was a young soldier, I was stationed in Turkey. There were people there who didn't like Americans, and in some cases there were terrorist actions directed at us. So when I explored, I tried getting by using my very limited Turkish, or my not great, but passable German. Many people there also spoke German due to the Gastarbeiter system. I loved speaking those languages. It was quite fun. There were a couple of occasions when neither ruse worked, and those were not fun. I have forgotten almost all of the Turkish, and most of the German, that I knew way back then.

12. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I worked in Turkey at the Roman City of Aphrodisias. We were working under the Americans from New York university and working directly on the site with the local Turks.

Language wise it was a very interesting time. The Americans didn't understand a lot of what I said and the Turks were pleased that I knew the local word for Badger (Porsuk) which helped while the time away on site :D

011-10-1.jpg

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I cracked up! I speak enough English to understand their humour, good enough German to get by in Germany, and just enough French to get me into trouble. On the plus side I can sing the first verse of La Marseillaise in French. Languages are fun!

14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Cor Droopy what talent :) It is really good to hear from you again, we missed your sunny personality and humour.

Droopy likes this.
  15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hey @Tetters, I've missed you too. I have sent all of you nice thoughts even though I haven't been on. Things just sort of take a lot more time than I think, despite my careful planning, so I think I'll just stop planning and see what happens then! I had to learn a couple of foreign languages in school. Very few people speak Norwegian in the world. I like to talk to people, so languages it was.

Cayuga Morning, Logan and Tetters like this.
  16. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I had to look up the word for Badger in Norwegian, it's one I didn't know - Grevling :)

Logan, Tetters and Droopy like this.