Any opinions on what I have done to this space?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Chadwick, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Chadwick

Chadwick New Seed

Greetings everyone. I moved into my new home a few months ago, and the wife and I have done our best to make it comfortable. Most of the furniture we already had, so we've tried to make it comfortable through the use of plants, rugs and accents.

I have 10' ceilings (25' ceilings in foyer, formal dining and a few other areas) or higher throughout the house, and this has created large empty walls. I've tried to do something to these spaces.

So, please see the attached image. This space isn't formal, but it's not completely casual either. We have entertaining areas behind me, breakfast areas, etc. The plasma on the wall might not be the greatest interior design decision, but it fits perfectly and we can see it from all entertaining areas.

What is your opinion of this space? I just added the two large canvas paintings. The picture is from my cell phone, so the colors are washed out. The paintings are really vibrant and help add some color.

Any other suggestions? Does the space look comfortable to you? Has any serious designing faux pas been committed?

Thanks!
    Chad

http://picasaweb.google.com/cosgood/Mob ... 3337279442

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My first thought was that it looks very comfortable, and I would like it there. I prefer my paintings a bit higher up, though.

4. Chadwick

Chadwick New Seed

The wife actually wanted them higher too, but I resisted :-D I have to raise the right canvas a little anyway, so I'll experiment with having them higher.

Thanks!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your photograph reminds me of a very comfortable and up-market hotel I once stayed in - really beautiful. The bedrooms all had chandaliers and four poster beds in them. I think you've done a great job on the area pictured Chad. :-D

Advertisement
  6. Chadwick

Chadwick New Seed

Thanks Eileen. That helps me realize that at least I'm not perpetrating serious crimes on design here. :-D

7. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Elegant comes to mind. I really love that style, but I can never achieve it as I buy too much "cutesy" stuff!

8. petunia

petunia Young Pine

your room looks very comfortable, I always did like fireplaces. you did a good job.

9. rushme

rushme New Seed

Hi Chandwick, you did a good job. The space look very clean with simple lines and has a sense of formality witch is a requirement of such spaces. I like to suggest something which will make your spaces more comfortable and welcoming.
    You have already mention about the plasma TV so you know the flaws of that, i feel its not at eye level which doesn't allow comfortable watching.
    You can add one or two lamp of seating side to add some uniform illumination in the spaces, adding such illumination will add drama to your place and at the same time it will highlight your art work on the wall and pull the color from the painting and spread in the surrounding area.
    Rest of the things are nice you did a great job.

10. Chadwick

Chadwick New Seed

Thanks rushme.

I've since lowered the plasma about 5 inches. That might not seem like a lot, but it actually makes a lot of difference. The wife and I haven't had any issues with viewing the plasma, and it's at a position that's very comfortable to watch from our kitchen, etc. as well.

I'll look into the lamps. I had a lamp on the side table for a while, but it just wasn't working out. I've not been able to find a lamp that I think works in the space. They're either too large or too busy. I'll keep looking :)

Thanks!

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love your space you have already corrected the neck breaker so its great now.

12. intaddict

intaddict New Seed

interior design

Hi Chad,

wow that room does look impressive i can really see myself cosying up on that counch and watching TV it looks so warm and nice. you have done a great job of it!!! i had a little nosy on the other pictures in the album where are the photos taken it look like a nice area compared to crappy Manchester, England.

Anyway Keep well
    Andre

13. stacy131

stacy131 New Seed

I think it's nice, but seeing all the great architectural shapes and oh, the beautiful wall edges around the fireplace that are to die for, I think you could've done more to make the fireplace a focal point.

14. sabi

sabi New Seed

I think that the room looks really nice but this TV is just not at the right place and it destroys the feeling the rest of the room gives. I would completely remove it from this area and rather make some other small sitting place with TV on the focus if such place is available of course.
    And as stacy131 points it would be much better if you put the accent on the fireplace. Remove the TV, put some accessories, some candlesticks etc. Some music set at the place of the white cupboard and it will become really cosy place for relaxing and nice talks.

15. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Beautiful room and furnishings . . . I love the pictures and they go so well with that fabulous rug. Everything looks so elegant. I would suggest an ornate floor lamp if you do decide to get lamps . . . something to go with the rug and pictures. (I personally like the placement of the pictures here . . .) While I don't think the fireplace and TV are competing to be the focal point . . . I think it would be neat to strategically place a few collector items that are just the height of the wall space between the top of the mantel and the bottom of the tv . . . some brass pieces, or sliced geodes . . . or something items made out of the same material as your Eiffel Tower (I am guessing that is what that is . . . Nice piece BTW) You really have a nice place. Eventually as the years roll on those wonderful shelves will fill with favorite books, pictures, and things . . . Congratulations on a home well done. ;)

16. designeronline

designeronline New Seed

Two ideas...

Basically, it looks great. My only two comments are the the rug needs to be moved so it sits under the sofa a few inches. It looks like it is floating in the space. If you have to move the sofa closer to the fireplace to this, it might also give you enough room for a narrow sofa back table. This would be nice to see as you enter the room rather than the back of the sofa. Overall, you have done a great job and I love the art and accessories!

Michelle