Any other quilters here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Kiasmum, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Just wondering :D

I've been doing this for almost 3 years now and have at least one project(sometimes more) on the go. I find it an absorbing past-time when the weather is too yuk to venture out.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, I quilt. When we lived up north I made a quilt a year, but since we moved to Texas, I've been gardening more and quilting less. I hoop quilt, rather than using a frame, and the window of opportunity for having a quilt in your lap is very short here!
    Here is a photo of one of the quilts with a "decorative object" in its center:
    [​IMG]
    Summertime, and the livin' is easy ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Until 2003 I was an obsessive quilter. Besides making quilts for gifts I also sewed quilt tops for a local quilt shop and for a designer in Kansas. I spent 18 years making them then I totally lost interest after damaging my needle pushing finger then started gardening and returned to knitting. I think in that 18 years I made close to 200 quilts ranging in size from wall hangings to 3 king size bed quilts.

I sold my Elna 5 years ago but the friend who bought my last contest quilt also gave me an old machine his former wife left behind and I have been toying with the idea of making a few tops again and either having them quilted for me or just selling the tops. I have gotten rid of much of my fabric stash but still have some favorites in boxes in my craft room.

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e285-89- ... quilt.html

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e285-88- ... ciety.html

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e285-86- ... or-me.html

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e285-85- ... entry.html

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e285-84- ... ntion.html

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love the quilt and the cat.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I used to quilt but now I sew aprons and tote bags. The last quilts I made were for two of my grandchildren. One was an amish pattern for a baby boy and the other was a lacy heart pattern for a teenage girl.I have a dinosaur one started by not finished.

dooley

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, I am flabbergasted! Those quilts are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. You have such an eye for composition, color, and a flair for the original. Please, go ahead and at least do quilt tops--such talent shouldn't be hidden.
    Glendann, thank you. Feliz enjoys the quilts on both the beds--but for summertime the guest bedroom bed is her favorite. You would not believe the amount of cat hair that a quilt can accumulate!
    Dooley, I had the feeling you had or are quilting. Let us see that dinosaur quilt when you are ready.
    Kiasmum, we need to see quilts, projects--post photos, please!

8. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Hi marlingardener, I love your natural decoration :D cats aren't daft are they.Having very hairy dogs myself I can appreciate the amount of hair only too well. That's a pretty quilt.You hand-quilted it?? Blimey... I've yet to master the really tiny stitching.
    Yes, can imagine that you wouldn't need to wrap up warm too often in your part of the world. I'll start a photo album to show some of my stuff.

Toni,Wow! You have some lovely work there.You've probably forgotten more than I know. I really like your interpretation of Texas Flowers(I had to explain the shape of them to my husband).Would you mind if I took some inspiration from your flowers for a quilt that I'm hoping to enter in a competition next year with the theme "The Netherlands".Using the shape of the country in some way could add extra interest.

Sadly,I think you find the cliques in all hobbies and interests,which is a shame as it must put people off.I haven't joined any groups and am very happy to do my own thing at my own pace.

My husband pokes gentle fun at my stash but then is surprised when I can dip in and find something for a project he wants.I also know that my modest stash pales into insignificance to some that I have seen shots of.

Dooley
    The dinosaur sounds intruiging.I hope you get to finish it.

9. toni

Certainly you can use the flower shape idea, makes me happy to know I have inspired someone with one of my ideas.

Flowers in the shape of the Netherlands might be a real chore but an abstract form could work. Are you thinking mainly Tulips? What if you pieced Tulip blocks in bright colors, using a green marbled or grassy print fabric as the background. Then when you put them together the green border around them could be shaped in outline of the Netherlands. Depending on the required size of the entries, it could be left that shape or appliqued onto a black background.

I loved working out themes for my quilts. I made one for my in-laws after my FIL's mother passed in 1997. I used fabric from her aprons, cotton dresses and a couple of bonnets she had. I had a book of many hundred blocks and I found some with names that applied to her....Country Girl, Short and Sweet, etc. I also made one for my Dad out of all his neckties after he retired. I need to find photos of those too.

Kiasmum likes this.
  10. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Thank you for the ideas. I have an idea that is background processing in my brain at the moment and is loosely based on a song from my childhood called "A mouse lived in a windmill in old Amsterdam" If you google those lyrics you can see what I'm talking about. Although I have no idea yet how I'm going to go about it :rolleyes: I think I'd like to include things like tulips and canals etc for extra interest but probably not main subjects-but that may change.Thank goodness I have until July to get it together.

What a lovely thing to use personal items to make quilts.Please do try to post the pictures.

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am learning to quilt. So far, mine are basic patch quilts, and no fancy top stitching. My sewing room in piled high in fabrics for quilt ideas and projects that I want to do. Right now, I have a son and DIL home and using the guest room, which adjoins the sewing room and makes it difficult to use my sewing room much at present.

[​IMG]
    Quilt I made from an old sleeping bag ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    quilt I finished for a friend that died ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Quilt for friends grandbaby ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

Those are a few that I have done. I made some for my grandson about 10 years ago. He is in grade school now. I have some in the works, but it is too warm to work on them in summer.

Toni and Marlingardener, those quilts are awesome! I have two friends who can quilt with the best down here. Mine have not gotten that good yet. Maybe someday?

Frank, toni, Henry Johnson and 2 others like this.
  12. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

They're lovely. I read an anecdote about someone who gave a quilt with the tied quilting to a friend who then promptly removed the "basting" :eek:

What a lovely thing to do in finishing your friend's quilt.

I haven't done any fancy patterns yet either.Perhaps one day or not.

13. toni

Quilters of long ago were the original repurpose'ers so turning a sleeping bag into a quilt is going back to our roots. ;)

The baby quilt is really cute and a perfect size for a little one. She will probably be carrying it around for years as her comfort blankie.

14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The other quilt is double knit. A friend made the top, she got cancer and died before she finished her quilts. I did the backing and stuffing for her family. I have 4 more to finish for her family. She gave me half her sewing stuff before she died, and another mutual friend the other half. They are not as fancy as the quilts you ladies did, but they have sentimental value to her family.

I sure hope I finish all of my quilts in my lifetime. And I have gobs of other projects waiting...

15. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I try very hard to only have 1 project on the go at any one time-she says but knows full well that there is on waiting to be basted ready for quilting and another where I haven't made all the blocks yet...so much for good intentions ;).

I have at least 1,if not 2 complete kits waiting to be made in addition to the dressmaking fabric I bought to make summer skirts(we didn't actually have one this year which is why I still have the fabric :rolleyes: )

16. toni

One project going at a time???? Good luck with that. I haven't made a quilt in almost 10 years and I still have 4 projects in different stages of completion.

I used to feel I had to do one at a time, but when the creative bug bites you really have to go with it. Besides sometimes a project gets tiring, put aside because you don't feel the urge to work on it and you need something fresh to work on to keep the creative juices flowing. At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. ;)