Any tips on growing Rhubarb?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Jun 18, 2015.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I bought a rhubarb plant this spring and planted it in a large tub. It is doing nicely so far. I have heard that it likes sandy soil, and you should wait 2 years before harvesting? I tried to grow it a long time ago, and it putzed a few years and died. Any other tips on growing rhubarb?

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Rhubarb is a very heavy feeder, so I am not sure how happy it would be in a pot. I give mine a topdressing each fall with manure and it is very happy. Also, it is very important that when you do start to harvest the stalks that you PULL them and not cut them. This stimulates new growth and leaves your plant less prone to infection. Some people think this doesn't matter, but I can tell you it does - I have seen perfectly healthy plants decline after they have been cut. I must be doing something right ... I pick and pick and pick and my rhubarb plant is still producing and very happy. It is almost 4.5 feet tall!
    rhubarb.JPG

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow! that looks fabulous Netty.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I bought some rhubarb at the farmer's market the last couple of weeks. It was so good. It was pulled, not cut. You can tell by the ends. Don't eat the leaves, they are not good for you.

dooley

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Netty for this advice. Unfortunately I harvested some leaves for a friend....cut them. Sure enough, when I saw the plant again it is flopping & not looking well.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I always pulled my stalks when we had it but I had never fed it. It would of went out of control, it was large enough. A few years ago we got rid of it because we just weren't eating it anymore.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thanks. The tub is quite large-- it is a livestock salt/mineral tub, but I can put it in the ground later. I just need to figure out WHERE to put it! It is in very good soil, and getting nice and large already. I did not know they get so huge! When is a good time to move the plant? Probably before mine gets as huge as yours, I would think. Is fall okay for moving them? Summer can be brutal here, so I don't move many plants in summertime because of that.

Q. If I have it near my horse's fence, will she eat off of it, or leave it alone? I have heard that the leaves are poisonous? The best spot that I can think of off hand, is an onion bed at the moment. The onions would not mind being in the tub. But there used to be a black walnut tree near that, though I am sure it is 5 years or more since it was cut down. Would that bother the rhubarb plant or not? I know I lost 7 blueberry plants because I didn't know they would not be happy there, and at least that many raspberry plants also, and a lot of tomato plants. However, the lettuce, onions, and asparagus are fine near there. It has been heavily manured the last two years.

PS, there is no danger of me eating the leaves. I don't care much for most kinds of leaves, especially cooked ones, and they are quite difficult to chew for the few I do like. I suppose the leaves from the stalks that I do pull can go into the compost pile. That ought to be good for the compost.

Oh, no one said do I need to wait to two years before harvesting or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  9. kate

kate In Flower

Plenty of well rotted manure under it, don't take many sticks in the first year.

K

10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Does anyone know if my horse will bother it? She does reach through the fence to get other things she likes. This is the best spot to plant it if she will leave it alone.

thank you Kate for letting me know. :)

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The leaves are poisonous to horses. If you horse will bother it....I don't know. But you probably should plant it away from the fence just in case.

12. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Rhubarb is a member of the buckwheat family. It likes cool weather. You aught to be north enough for it to survive, but it will do better manured and mulched and in the ground.

Plan on pooping and mulching it yearly.

If it sets seed it will make a tall flower stalk. Dried seed aught to be a good swap item.

I bought new Victoria seed this spring and should have many rhubarb babies to give away this fall.

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

guess I will have to think of better spot for it.