Any Yahoo Mail users? - Spam is getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Frank, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Does anyone else who has a Yahoo Mail account notice how much spam has been infiltrating the inbox recently. This morning my new mails were composed of 50% valid and 50% spam. It was never this bad a few months ago. It's quite irritating.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. cherylad
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. rockhound
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh yes indeed Frank!!! :-x I have always used BT Yahoo e.mail as Ian works for BT but just this last few weeks I've seriously thought of changing. Every day my e.mail filter sends at least 40 spam mails into my bulk folder. They miss the odd one or two though that make it through to my inbox, however, I never open them and delete them post haste. I absolutely abhore spammers!!!!!!! :smt021 :smt021 I certainly couldn't put into print what I feel about them as I'd blow up my computer and set my keyboard alight.

4. Frank

You and me both Eils.

I have not read anywhere else that people were having problems but both my brother and I have seen this deluge of spam for weeks now.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Pests and Diseases forum :rolleyes:

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't have a Yahoo mail account, I use gmail on a couple of list and it catches the majority of the spam.
    For every one that makes it thru to my inbox, there are about 20 more in the Spam folder when I check my account online. The majority of my mail comes thru my ISP email account and so far that inbox only receives maybe 5 pieces of spam a month.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wonder why there is sooo much of it just lately? I used to get the odd one or two a week but NEVER this amount!!!! How I wish I could eliminate them altogether!!! :-x

7. Frank

They are obviously messing about with their spam filters or the spammers are simply getting more clever.

I mark every spam message that enters my Inbox as 'Spam' but sometimes I wonder whether it makes much of a difference.

Spam issues aside I'd just like to add that the Yahoo Mail service is excellent. The new interface upgrade is beautiful.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My rEcycle list is a Yahoo list and there are times when I could just rip their hearts out and feed it to the squirrels out back. Way too many times I try to take care of list business and it either takes forever to get from one section to another, making approving messages and members almost impossible...or I get the access to your group is not available message and have to wait hours for them to get their act together.
    In the meantime, list members do have my email address and are emailing me complaining about the list not working.

9. Frank

I use the Yahoo Groups list manager as well to send out the weekly Stew newsletter but as I only use it infrequently I haven't noticed much trouble. It's not a public list however so I'm sure that brings along its own problems.

Toni have you ever thought about adding a link to the rEcycleDFW group in your signature?

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

My daughter has had the same proublem on her Yahoo.

11. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Yes Frank you are right my mail is molre like 80-20 spam,I am going to hotmail but I don't know if it is any better.

12. Frank

For all the spam annoyances at present Reggae I would stick with Yahoo. Hotmail is horrendous IMO. I'm sure they will sort it out eventually once more and more of these kind of threads keep popping up around the Web.

13. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

My accounts are mostly with Yahoo too, and I have seen a few slipping through the nets - I assume they are working on their filters or experimenting with something to see if it works better or worse... Being a tinkerer myself, I'll wait a bit and see if it continues or not. I also have adblocker, so I don't have to see any of the annoying ads - makes it a fairly pleasant free mail service.

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have MSN.I have a few slip through.
    Excite is bad also for letting spam through.

15. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I have an internet service and did have a lot of spam. They put in a filter of some kind and it goes to an account where I can view and destroy it. I no longer have spam in Express mail. Wannabe

16. Frank

Has anyone seen any improvement with spam in Yahoo? It's just getting worse and worse for me. Very infuriating! :-x