Anybody grow rutabaga's?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Jul 26, 2012.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I'll be planting beets, turnips, and yes, rutabaga's this weekend. I've never had them, just wondering what there is I should know about them?

BTW, I used three garlic bulbs for seed last year, and harvested just over 7 pounds. :-D No garlic breath smiley.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

You mean you have never eaten them ? Or have never grown them? It is a yellow turnip basically. The taste is a bit sweeter . I have eaten them all my life but have not tried growing them till this year. The same way you grow turnips applies to rutabagas. I am going to plant them for fall since I think they will be better with cool weather. They also keep well in the winter if bedded out and not allowed to freeze. Thats what I do with turnips !! I have a plastic trash can with holes for ventilation, then I layer straw (6 inches) then turnips, then straw again all the way to the top ending with straw, and put the lid on. Leave about 2 inches of leaf stem and the root on the turnips. They may start to grow a bit but they will last most all winter. Of course our winters are not as bad as yours but if they don`t freeze they will do fine .