Anyone familiar with growing a Haskap Berry? ( aka Honeyberry, Blue Honeysuckle....)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Melody Mc., Feb 8, 2022.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I have ordered my first Haskap Berry bushes to be mailed this spring. I have been watching varieties and interest grow for a few years now. They are hardy from zone 2 and up. Farms are appearing in the north, as well as close to the US border in the south. It is said to have the flavour between a raspberry and blueberry. I can grow raspberries, strawberries, saskatoons, and northern bush blueberries but that has been all. I am always looking for hardy berry crops.

If anyone has experience growing a Haskap I would love to hear what you think of it, and what you have learned.

haskap.jpg

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Of course we are out of your zone but thats one I have never heard of !

Melody Mc. likes this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Haskaps/Honeyberries are all over the world now. Although they do prefer a certain growing zone ( which allows dormancy) they are viable from zones 2 to 9. With all of the improved varieties, they're encouraging people to try them. But just looking at where NE Texas is.....hmmmmmm. Perhaps not ??:rolleyes:

I've attached a link that explains where they like to grow, and an image from that article of the "goldilocks" zones for it. The maps where they have orchards now around the world is interesting. They're making Haskap wine in some countries. In Canada they are encouraging agriculture to "think ahead" - in relation to it taking 30 years for the blueberry industry to evolve to where it is now. They are optomistically hoping the Haskap is the next blueberry.:flower: I'm not that ambitious...some pies and frozen berries would be great. :)

http://www.lovehoneyberry.com/where-will-honeyberries-grow/

Haskap growing zones in North America..png