Anyone have this bloom indoors before?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Tooty2shoes, May 18, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

For the last 4yrs I have had the pleasure of witnessing my Mother-in-law-tongue plant bloom. Oh my. It is so unusual looking and smells like an Easter Lily. I wasn't sure mine would bloom this year as last fall I took the over grown bunch out of it's pot and hacked it up and planted it. It is in an east facing window so it gets at least 4hrs or more of sun a day.
    If you look closely at the picture you can see what looks like water droplets near the flower stem. That is actually nectar. I tried it to see what it would taste like. Very sweet indeed.
    I was just wondering if anyone else who grows Mother-In-laws-tongue has had it bloom for them? Have a happy day all. DSCN3471.JPG

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Emduff
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. MScds15
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

To be honest I didn't even know that they flowered.:smt053 They are sold here only as foliage plants so I'm amazed to see that the flowers resemble those of a Spider lily and that they are scented. This is what I love so much about GardenStew - you can learn something new even if you've been gardening for many years.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Eileen that is so true. Yes they do look like spider lilies now that you say that. Something else I learned about them is that they are in the Asparagus family If I read the info correctly.
    This is the first year that it bloomed indoors. I usual set it out on my front porch that faces West. It loved it out there and flowered as well. I have heard some people say that they need to be root bound. Not so. Mine isn't. Hope you can get one to bloom for you.

purpleinopp likes this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    My big one bloomed once, but I moved it to a place farther from the windows and it hasn't bloomed since. Guess it isn't as happy as it was in front of the eastern facing French doors.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Fantastic & well grown! I've seen this a few times over the years I've had Sans, and much more recently in recent years since changing the conditions, as you describe. Give more room to grow, more light. I'm surprised you didn't mention the fantastic scent. If you haven't sniffed yet, I think you'll be pleased if you give 'er a sniff.

Your pic would make a great addition in this plants' entry in the database:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/43014

They are monocarpic. Each rosette can bloom once, after which it won't grow any new leaves, but should make plenty of pups/babies. As those pups reach their maturity, they should then bloom also. The time it takes to grow from a pup to a mature, blooming rosette can vary wildly, depending on conditions. So often these plants are in insufficient light in a dark corner which prevents blooming, though they can stay alive and looking fine that way, for decades sometimes.

Henry Johnson and Tooty2shoes like this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Jewell you will have to move yours. If you do I hope it blooms for you.

Purple- Yes it does smell wonderful, like an Easter lily. Wow, you really know your plants. Monocarpic sounds like something you do to a car. Just kidding. Yes, I would love to contribute that photo to the plant data base. OM-I just inspected the plant again and I have another one just starting to grow another flower stalk. OM-how wonderful.

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

That's awesome!! And LOL - my car will prob need a monocarpic repair soon, she's downright elderly... :+)

Kay and Tooty2shoes like this.