Anyone know how to work with concrete?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by garden_newbie, Jul 3, 2011.

1. garden_newbie

garden_newbie Seedling

Here is something I haven't seen discussed anywhere. Please view this picture of my garage entry:

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae59 ... 3-0911.jpg

The garage floor is about one and a half inches off the driveway. I actually have to give more gas just to enter my garage and get met with a thud sound every time. How can I make an incline? Do I cut a piece of wood at an incline and then concrete over it? I never messed with concrete a lot only to level out my mailbox. Please note that my garage door is a few inches away so I would have to make a really small incline but not sure what is the best way that will last a long time and support a car driving over it. Thanks :)

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Did the builder leave it like that? If so can you get them to come correct it?

You might check at Home Depot, Lowe's to see if they have classes in pouring concrete for patios and such.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thats a fairly simple fix. You will have to get a bonding agent to prepare the concrete thats already there for accepting new concrete. I would suggest you get a helper to be there when you mix and pour so it doesn`t dry while you mix a second batch. All you need is to attach a piece to the side that is angled to the proper incline and will hold the concrete inside, and a piece of rebar to go across the door opening so that you won`t have cracking problems later. Sak-crete has the gravel in it and all you need to add is water. Mix in two 5 gal. buckets. I would start with half a sack in each bucket. Make sure everything is ready before you add water to it. You cannot stop once you start to pour or the quality is affected. Put about an inch close to the taller part all the way across. Then lay the rebar across and seat it in the concrete. Just wiggle it to make sure there is contact every where along the rebar,,no air pockets, then add the reamainder and start to work it with your trowel. Pat and smooth to the angle you have cut and smooth it out. It takes a while to work it so that you have a smooth surface and you have no air bubbles inside. Then let it dry at least two days depending on temp in your area. Its really not difficult but that being said, summertime is not a great time to pour concrete. You get too much drying on top and not enough inside. Drying too quickly makes poor concrete. Wait till fall for this project. You will do better in cool weather.