Anyone know what these are?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by tschnath, May 28, 2008.

1. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

I have one of these in my garden and now they are popping up all over the place. I used to know what they were but I've forgotten. Anyone recognize what they are?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a tree growing out in the 'thicket' as I call it. I like it very much and look forward every year to it's bloom but I do not know what it is called. Anyone know?
    [​IMG]
    sorry this close up is not very good. look at the middle bottom of the pic.
    [​IMG]

This one is also growing wild in the 'thicket' area. It may have blown here from someone elses yard or could be wild. Anyone know?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is growing under my trumpet vine. I put purple plants in there so I'm not sure where this came from, it could be a weed for all I know. Anyone know?
    [​IMG]

Thanks to anyone who can help. Even if I only find out a couple of them, it'll just be nice to know.

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think the 1st, 2nd,5th and 6th photo are hardy geraniums or cranes bill geraniums. The fluffy white shrub might be mock orange. Does it smell Heavenly? The yellow thing looks like yarrow to me. I'm sure someone out there will know for sure ;)
    Deanna
    :-D

4. jakrum421

jakrum421 Seedling

My whole yard was overrun with these darn things...

They are hardy geraniums and they had been let to run wild for 10 years before we bought our house. I ended up pulling most of them out to make room for less invasive plants. They are pretty and the bees and butterflies love 'em, but will crowd out your less hardy plants if you don't keep up with them.

5. louisiana-blooms

louisiana-blooms Seedling

i cant help ya with names .....but gosh they all look so pretty . very good colors .luv the white flowering tree. unusall .

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

The leaves are wrong for Philadelphus, It could even be a Hawthorn, Are the stems thorny?

7. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Pic 2 & 4 smell like dirty feet and yes, there are thorns on it...big nasty thorns.

I believe that pic 1, 2, 5 & 6 probably are some type of geraniums. The pink one is in my garden and has sort of started to take over. I'm working on getting under control. The purple one is on the edge of my 'thicket' so I don't know if it's wild or blew in from someplace else, but it can stay and multiply out there, that's ok with me. Thanks all for the help. I appreciate it.

8. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Are the leaves on the last pic feathery? If so the yes, yarrow or achilea.

9. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Yes they are sort of feathery. I think it's pretty and I'll probably leave it there. I've planted several things there but nothing seems to like that spot. It moved itself in, I'm not sure from where, but I like it so it stays.