Anyone lose any plants this winter?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Netty, May 2, 2009.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Now that spring has sprung, I'm finding I lost quite a few plants this winter. It seems to be the same plants both at home and at work: Alyssum, Lambs Ears, Shasta Daisy's, and Sedum.
    Anyone else lose plants to the winter?

2. Loading...

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

looks like we didn't lose ny plants, but had terrible damage done to our new fruit trees. the little nectarine's branches all broke off. several of the other trees have many broken branches, and the crabapple stem snapped in two! there's a little attachment left, so i taped it together. i think it may live. the blueberry bushes are all torn up too. never have seen so much damage from the snow.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Didn't loose anything but the annuals that I expected to.
    Alyssum is an annual down here, how do you overwinter it?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Only the ones my daughter dug up and transplanted into her own garden!! :rolleyes:

I seem to have found a few plants that weren't there last year though. Wild Garlic which I must pull up as I don't want it spreading and Lily of the Valley which I think the birds must have brought in - oh and a Common Spotted Orchid!! :-D

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've lost a few plants, but we do that every year. Some small iris, a very border-line Arisaema, an orchid and a couple of others. The orchid will be hard to replace.

On the bright side I got some extras growing, must have self-seeded from somewhere.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

My glads may not grow this year. I did dig them up in the fall, put them in a paper bag and intended on putting them in the basement But I saw that I had left them out in the greenhouse (medium one) all winter. I will put them in the ground soon but do not know if they'll do anything. Does anyone know how bad I messed up by not getting them to the basement?? Do you think they'll grow at all this year-they were so beautiful last year.

8. Netty

Sorry Toni, I meant Alyssum saxatilis, not Lobularia which is an annual here as well.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Aurinia saxatilis (Basket of Gold)
    Oh, that one is very pretty. I don't remember seeing it around here tho, I may have to find one this fall.

10. Carol T

Carol T New Seed

We have lost quite a few plants this winter, wind chill and frost. Lost new Hebes and a Hydrangea, couple Fuschias and several shrubs still looking unhealthy. Certainly a lot of wind damage.

11. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

A lot of spruce trees in our area are in dire straights this spring. Most died from the top down, and I'm assuming this is due to a lack of moisture last fall before winter set in. I didn't get a chance to soak them all in last fall, and it's showing this spring.

12. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I lost my roses >_< This is what I think happened: I have them in containers, and they were set against the house out of the wind. They were next to a downspout, and I didnt realize there was a leak at the top, so when the snow started melting then refreezing, the soil froze and killed the roots.
    I got some new roses from Michiganbulb, but Im feeling iffy about em...Michiganbulb just doesnt seem to produce good roses...

I have a liatris thats still in its pot from last year, and I was sure it was dead last fall, but I cant throw anything away...good thing I didnt! I started sprouting again *lol*

13. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Lost plants.

I've been lucky this year. I thought my Jasmine was lost, but it seems to have a tiny green bud. Fingers crossed. :stew2:

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I lost my touch.....

the annuals I started indoors are just kicking the bucket one after another???????Beats me why.

The ones which are skinny like a hair?/
    Damp off?
    New soil from the store?/

Plenty of water ..

??

b

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I've got a couple heuchera and a candytuft that are really sruggling to come back... otherwise I think so far, so good.

16. Netty

I found a few more things today to add to my list of casualties...a moss Phlox, 2 mini Roses, a Gaillardia, a Red Hot Poker and 2 Lupins. I'm still wondering about my Russian Sage too. What a bad winter!