Anyone Paint?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Penny, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Here are a few of the things that i like to paint
    Old World Santa
    [​IMG]
    Santa Clause and next to it is a Candy Box
    [​IMG]
    My Skeleton
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Found a couple more
    [​IMG]
    My Witch.

Kids stackable dresser
    [​IMG]

And a couple ornaments
    [​IMG]
    and this one
    [​IMG]

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great stuff Penny. I like your skeleton...you don't see too many happy ones!

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I do like the old world Santa, makes a change from the traditional cartoony Santa. Good work Penny, you're talented.

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Those are great Penny, i really liked that stackable childrens dresser,, now that is cool. would you mind if i had my husband copy the idea? I do an art form called rosemåling, its an norwegian folk art. unfortunatly i don't have nothing here yet, because i give them all away to the family everytime they give me a bowl i like,, but i do plan on painting during the darktime here. but here is a link that so you can see what i do,, the chest that you have in the pics, i can see with the rosemåling on,,,,hmmm.

http://www.rosemaling.com/

its the only one i could find in english, but this is what i am learning to do....

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

How amazing Biita,

This is extreemly similar to a particular Frisian artwork well known in our country. It is called Hindelooper kunst. One particular type of Hindelooper kunst is called "the Telemark style". This looks even more like Rosmåling.
    Both art styles are very beautiful.
    The Hindelooper kunst is done in the tiny costal village of Hindeloopen. A really picturesque village.
    have a look: http://www.meinevisser.nl/EN/

How amazing to come across someone that knows this style too. It makes one wonder about a Norwegian presence in Nederland in the past.[/i]

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Wow Penny.........

I like santa and I like the stackables.

I cant even do finger paints..i use the wrong finger..Ha ha ha

barb

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Telemark is a county in southern Norway. As for Norwegians and Dutch mingling, well, we've always done that! We're both on the coast, and we're very similar in how we think and act too. Apart from the Danes, I think the Dutch are the Europeans we have the most in common with. I've got two cousins living in Holland, and I do not know how many Dutch we've got in my area alone.

10. Droopy

Penny, you have a lively brush! I loved the candy box and the dresser. Please share more!

11. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

Paint?

Oh boy do I paint, if it does not co-ordinate with my home exterior or interior it get's painted!(even furniture) here are just a few things I've painted statues were either plain concrete, white plaster or gray/green resin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Just what droopy said, i was going to post that also,, if i'm not mistaken the Rosemåling originated in Telemark.. at least that is what i have read. As far as Dutch living on this island we have a whole community of Dutch right on the other side of the mountain, and we have a camp ground here on the farm, an every summer between the germans an the dutch that is the bulk of our tourist who come to stay. They love it here, an stop an say they will stay one night, an end up staying 5. So this is a very much loved island by the Dutch. an the link is very good, i have to study it more because i seen i few things i would like to try,,lol.

Penny i showed my husband the chest an after twisting his arm he is going to try to make one for me. so thank you for the pic of that. Also i love the kitchen witch,, that is way to cute,,,actually its all so nice.

And SusieQ,, those are awesome pics also, thank you for sharing those.

13. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Wow, Penny and SusieQ! :-D You both do really lovely work!

I used to do a good deal of painting, too. I really enjoyed it and painted
    lots of things as gifts and decorative items for around our home.

But, :rolleyes: after several years of painting tin jewelry for a local shop owner,
    and doing free-lance murals and painted furniture for clients,
    I guess that I sort of burnt out, :( I hope that the interest rekindles one day.

14. bethie

bethie Young Pine

You all's stuff is great. I love the Grinch and old timey Santas are a favorite. I love to paint. It comes in handy for so much. :-D

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I had no idea that there were so many Dutch people up that way...as campers or inhabitants.
    What is the attraction do you think, the art or the camping? ;) heh heh heh.
    Droopy, you mentioned that Norwegians had something in common with the Danes...I can tell you that when we went to Denmark for a few weeks, we found that the Danes were a bit like us too. Interesting, isn't it? I liked it there.
    There are a few other websites featuring Hindeloopen artwork on the internet; but of course, the best thing to do is come and see it for yourself. :D

16. Droopy

Wow, SusieQ, you do lovely brushwork too! I can't paint, even though I try.

Sjoerd, the attraction is space, rivers and mountains. I do appreciate Hindeloopen artwork, I've looked up more sites too.