Anyone willing to "rate my space"?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Pianolady, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

For some reason it won't accept my registration details - probably because I'm not from the USA. Sorry Pianolady but I did try. :(

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

Why can't we tell you right here what we think, to me it looks like it needs more lighting,( a pretty light over the organ) and filing cabinets are not attractive, hide it in a nice built in.. and it needs warmth of plants or pictures, accessories etc. I would rate it a 2 star as a work in progress, needing more to complete it.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well knowing all the work that has gone into the room (and what it was like before) I think you have achieved an oustandingly attractive area.
    I like the subdued lighting but plants would look good in the room (I would say that though wouldn't I as I'm a plantaholic?!! :rolleyes: ) Pictures on the wall and nick-nacks I'm sure will be added in time.

I'd definately give it a 5 star rating. :D

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All the work you all did and the change from what that area used to look like, rates 5 stars in my book. The basic remodel of the room into a very functional and stylish family room is outstanding.

The lighting appears to be bright enough. I prefer as few lights as possible, it makes the room feel more comfy instead of sterile like bright lights tend to do. Since the room is intended for watching TV and listening to music too many lights would spoil the
    feel.
    The knick-knacks and what ever decorative things you choose to add will come later and will enhance the room to make you happy.
    You probably do need some plants if only to help the acoustics when music is being played.
    Your blog entry says you have books, etc still to unpack. Those books will do a lot to warm up the room and act as sound batt.

7. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Actually, the organ has built in lights that light up like a runway when you turn it on! So....no more lighting needed there. I'll have to update the photos once all our stuff is actually back in the space, these were from the day we first moved everything back in, so it is still a work in progress. In fact, we just installed a new exterior door this evening.

I agree...We HATE the filing cabinet, but I'm a piano teacher, and it's a necessity. It's old and was painted green to match our old green carpet (and to cover up the damage). But, it's a workhorse of a filing cabinet, and the new ones are junk by comparison. A can of black spray paint will come in handy soon. :D

Actually an entire wall of filing cabinets would be perfect business-wise. We're planning on replacing the current filing cabinet with something like a large legal horizontal cabinet in black. Sometimes practicality has to overrule style unfortunately, especially since this is my piano studio space/business.

8. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

Love it. You done so much work, and I've enjoyed your posting of the progress of the room. I agree plants would be nice (can anyone at this site not agree plants are always a need?). Your idea of painting the file cabinets black sounds great. When you get your pictures and books in...it will be a '10' in my book for room make overs.

9. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Hi

Did you remove the room? I am unable to view it.... I'd love to take a look

10. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Yes I did remove the room. I decided the whole concept was kind of silly after seeing how others' rooms I thought were darn good were getting trashed by negative comments over there. I just didn't see anything helpful by the concept & pulled my space.

But, you can see it in my blog, and I'll try to get some pics updated soon, now that I have all my furnishings in.

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/index448.html

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Some people love to make negative comments about anything, as long as they're allowed to be negative...

I like your new room very much, Pianolady. It looks good. The main thing is, do you like it yourself? As long as you do, don't worry about everybody else. They're not living there.

12. Alexandra

Alexandra New Seed

Wow, Pianolady! I love it! My Mom is a piano teacher and I grew up with a piano always around somewhere in the house - but we never had a set up just for the piano itself - I think it's great what you did - and especially how you got there.

My only suggestion is that the walls look somewhat bare - I would suggest to post some paintings in the area where the piano is - my Mom has a framed painting of a few instruments she painted it herself - it looks pretty cool beside the Grand piano....but I think something simple and warm coloured... if you want, I'll try and take a pic of her set-up and post it here....