Apples apples everywhere

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Primsong, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

It's that season again - all this heat seems to have brought on some of my apples a couple weeks earlier than usual and I've spent a goodly part of this fine day peeling and slicing apples.

So far we have a huge pan of apple crisp (with the oatmeal, cinnamon and sugar topping) and are working on crusts to freeze three apple pies for later on.

What are some of your favorite apple recipes? What do you do when you have tubs of them ripening in your yard?

2. Loading...

3. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Yummy that sounds soooo delicious!!! Sadly I don't have any apple trees!! I would love to have all those apples!!! You are sooo lucky!! Although I'm sure you get tired of all that peeling and cutting!!

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Sounds yummy. I like them cored and baked with the center filled with sugar and cinnamon and a pat of butter on top.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Baked apples - haven't made those for some time. I'll have to set aside some of the bigger ones to use for that.

I'm hoping to put up some applesauce too, it's easy to make. I just quarter the apples, peel and all and cook until tender, then run them through my foodmill to take out the cores, peel and seeds. Simmer the sauce with a spice bag of allspice and cinnamon sticks in it, then can it.

It's the canning that makes it hard, blech! I hate how hot it gets in the summer when canning, though it's nice to have it on hand later in the year.

Apple-butter is another thought. I love it, but it takes hours and hours of simmering and stirring to cook it down.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Could you use a slow cooker for the apple butter? It could cook as long as needed.
    I can't wait for our tree to start getting apples, but we only planted them this spring. Dooley

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm sure I can smell all those apples cooking from here!!! YUM!!!!!

8. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Where can we sign up to get samples of the apple butter - especially when it is still warm.

9. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I like the idea of using a slow-cooker - Would be worth looking into. I have heard of baking it in pans in the oven on low too. My supply is almost gone, so I may take the time to do some up. I add lots and lots of spices, it really is quite a dark brown when it is ready.

Peach butter and pear butter are good too.