Apples need thinning again?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, May 24, 2019.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have three apple trees (Winesap, Pink Lady, and Yellow Delicious). They are all doing well this year, and have set apples. The Pink Lady may have over-achieved.
    Pink Lady overload.jpg
    Some are multiples:
    Apple Tree b.jpg
    We thinned the fruit on all three trees earlier this season, but being new to apple growing, we need to know if we should thin the Pink Lady again.
    Please, those of you with apple experience, advise us!

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Looks like it does need a second thinning ! If there is more than one apple in a cluster remove the smaller ones and leave the largest healthiest apple ! If the limbs have more than one every 8 inches remove the rest ! Make sure the ones you leave have no problems or insect damage !! I like to remove those that happen to grow at the tip ends since they will weigh the limb down and the limb is not as strong there ! Always leave the best apples if there is a choice even if it doesn`t agree with the guidelines !! One apple every 6 to 8 inches is recommended,,I do 8 inches ! I have to start on mine next week !

marlingardener likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well Mart, guess what I'll be doing tomorrow morning! Thank you for the advice.
    I'm going to put the culls into the compost pile. Sometimes gardening is so interesting!

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Instead of the compost pile just cut a few in half and toss them around the garden for the bees ! They love rotten fruit ! I have to start thinning mine next week !

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Again Mart, great advice! Butterflies like rotted fruit, too, so we should have some happy bugs. Just hope the wasps don't find out about the feast!

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, even the wasps eat aphids ! Or so I have heard ! Happy apple picking MG !