Are there more than one kind of peony?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, May 5, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

This was in a client's garden. It has leaves and bud formations very similar to the peonies that are at Ed's house. But the center of it, and the flower petals, look very different.

It's a gorgeous flower! What is it?

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Frankie dufort
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are about 30 different species of Peony. And most of the species have several different cultivars. I only have one but a few of our members have several and will probably know exactly which one that one is.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

There are oodles of peonies, that is just one reason I love them so! Netty can probably i.d. that one for you. My favorite are the pink, fragrant, doubles. We have a grower here in Oregon called Brooks Peony Paradise. I visited them some time back and it was the visit of a lifetime! If you google them you might see your flower. Therese is a wonderful lady and will answer any question you ask. However, you may become addicted. Just warning you!!!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've got doubles, singles, P. officinalis, P. lactiflora and tree peonies. And yes, they're addictive just like the Hosta.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Peony's are all lovely be they singles doubles of whatever type - likewise very attractive foliage. I gave up growing the doubles because the flowers spoiled so quickly in the rain and it always managed to rain when they were at their best - as so often with the Roses.
    One single I grew is a rarer not so often seen pale yellow variety rejoicing in the nickname of " Molly the Witch" - this came from its botanical name of Paeonia mlokosewitschii - you can see the connection. I found it on the fussy side as to its growing requirements but if it likes you - a treasure.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sooo many Peony's that its hard to make a guess as to which one this is. Is this blooming now? I would 'google' late blooming white peony with gold center and see what comes up.

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Try Google-ing "Kelways Nurseries Peony's" - many pics. An old and famous UK nursery.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016