Are they fleas? :(

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by bd528, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bd528

bd528 New Seed

Hi all,

In the last 2 weeks (which is when the weather has become much warmer - i am in the UK, I have noticed some very small insects on my window sills.

They are between 2-5mm long and very thin. So far I have seem them only on the window sill, but I am worried they are in the carpets because I think I may have seen 1 or to on my daughter's cot sheet. The bottom of the cot is quite near the floor.

When I nudge the insects they run away quite slowly and I havent seen any of them jumping.

Do you have any ideas of what these could be and/or how to deal with them. I find it quite upsetting having them in my bedroom and bathroom, so I am keen to find a solution as soon as possible. At the moment all i can do is vacumn them up. :(

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

--bd528

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there and firstly let me welcome you to our forums. :-D I hope you'll stay around and join in the GardenStew fun here.

The insects you metion are definately NOT fleas thankfully but, although I see them around quite a bit here in Scotland too, I haven't a clue what they are. They don't seem to bite but they are certainly a nuisence and do seem to increase as the weather gets warmer. I hope someone else can tell you what they are. The only advice I can offer is to keep hoovering them up. Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Welcome to Garden Stew .I haven't a clue to what your tiny bugs are .Definitely not fleas they bite and jump .Thank goodness its not.Try sprinkling Seven dust and then vaccuming.I believe in Seven dust .Its great on fleas too.

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I get those too, I think they are a type of gnat, just not the bitting kind. Mine seem to like to get in sweet things, like the sugar or cereal if they are not closed tightly.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Try sprinkling pennyroyal around and then vacuuming it the next morning. It works on fleas and some kinds of bugs. dooley

7. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

I agree with glendann.I have never seen those before but we use seven dust and it helps alot.