Are you a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation gardener?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by dirt2diamonds, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I laugh at my kids when they say that they will not have flowers at their homes. I said the same thing to my mother 25 years ago when she asked me to help pull some weeds out of a flower bed. And now I barely have an empty space.

My grandmother gave me nastastrium seeds to plant for her when I was 12 and I just threw them out in the edge of the bed. My Aunt speaks of those plants like I had created a masterpiece on purpose (I did not even pay the plants any more attention after tossing the seed and would not even remember the incident if my aunt hadn't). Gardening creeps into the blood of unsuspecting family members.

Are you the first flower or vegetable lover in your family or are you third generation like me? I am hoping to live to see a fourth generation of flower lovers sprout from my family. [grandma, mom, me, and ?].

I did not see flowers in my future when I was a kid. Thank goodness for growth and change.

2. Loading...

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I guess you can say gardening in my family is like twins,, it skips a generation.

If my grandma had her way she would of planted all of her yard plus the neighbors if she could get a way with it.

Now my mom, had the occasional pots of plants, mostly what i had given her. I remember a time when i actually did a full body shake because she come home from a thrift store an had bought a really pretty glazed pot. It had plastic pink flowers in it,, she took the flowers, went outside an stuck them by a pine tree, an thought it was beautiful. all i could do is look on in horror. but i had my revenge on that,, i came to visit one day an she was gone,, an so the plastic flowers mysteriously disappeared.

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Gee, I think I would qualify to be a second generation gardener. My grandma and grandpa was my role models. My parents did not really garden - they were too busy making ends meet and providing a home for us; and my grandparents did most of the gardening and planting.

I just wish I could have learned more from them. The time that one has with ones grandparents are always to be treasured. Unfortunately it is always too short.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My grandparents had a small garden but were never 'into' gardening. They only ever did the basics and only when needed to keep the landlord happy. As for my parents - well they had no outside space to call there own as they lived in a tenement block. So I suppose I'm a first generation gardener!!! :-D It looks as though my eldest son is going to be the one to take on the roll of a second gerneration 'digger of dirt' though so let's hope I can pass on plenty of usefull hints and tips.

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I caught the garden bug from my dad. I remember he had a vegetable garden out back of the house and always planted flowers in the front of the house. My brother and I would stand out in the vege's among the cherry tomatoes and just eat them right there.
    though I had planted flowers in my downstate (of mich.) home, I didn't really get a chance to do any heavy gardening until I moved here to upper Mich. Now I plant flowers all around the house and my garden mostly consist of vegetables and fruits in the summer.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm third as far as I know. My eldest is starting to show an interest, so that's four. Also, I'm doing my best to sow interest in my two youngest and my grand-daughter. I might be lucky enough to see generation five somewhere down the line. I've got heirloom plants ready for them when they are ready to receive them.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My grandparents gardened to feed their families. My mother did the same and also loved flowers. I love to work in the veggie gardens, but love my shrubs and flowers more. My oldest 2 kids showed interest in the gardens when they were younger, but really don't care to help in the gardens. My 4 year old loves to be outside and help me in the gardens, so there is hope there I think for the 4th generation.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

One set of grandparents were busy raising 7 kids but in their later years did have a small garden every year growing tomatoes and jalapenos. The other set died before I was born but they were not gardeners either.

My parents had a vegie garden when I was really young
    but only because it fed the family. My mom never really gardened but she liked daisies so she planted them if she could.

I have always wanted to garden, but never knew what to do or really had the time or space....until about 6 years ago. Now it almost consumes me. :eek:

10. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I caught the gardening bug from watching shows like Victory Garden on PBS TV.

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I am probably 4th generation as I have heard my mother talk about how wonderful her grandmother and mothers yards looked.They always every bit of grass and weeds hoed from the yards.I marvel at that as I look out and see grass and weeds and wish I had the energy to keep it from mine.

12. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Me too, i caught the gardening bug from watching TV shows, we were always busy when i was growing up (sports kept us away) so my parents never really did,

13. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I am at least a third generation gardener, I got it from both sides of the family, my Dad's Mother, and my Mother were my big insprations. My Mom was born with a degenerative bone disease, but it never stopped her, she was up at 5 and in the garden as soon as it was daylight hoeing and weeding, and a big garden too. It was all done by hand, except the original plowing every spring. She loves flowers and I always helped her with them, I love starting things from seed because my Mom instilled that in me. She can no longer garden so I plant flowers for her and am always looking for new and unusual plants, she gets so amazed when she sees something new.

14. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

yup, mom is an in-over-her-head gardener. Grandma had an amazing garden, especially considering it was red-clay soil. She took it over from great grandma who, being a proper Victorian lady, was of course a proper gardener- once she moved here from much-harsher Houlton Maine in 1877. And great-great grandma, born in Nebraska, taught her what she knew about flowers, learned from her mother who is a bit of an unknown. But since she was directly related to John Greenleaf Whittier, I'd bet she had a poetic soul and therefore must have gardened. Beyond that, I know names and little else. That's the distaff side, anyways. Clearly, I was doomed to dirty fingernails from the get-go.

15. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I have a rose that is just called "Papa"s rose because my grandfather (who died when I was 4) loved. It is a pink one time bloomer that is of a running habit. It is cool to have plants from other generations. My mother has plants from her mother and a brother that she holds dear. I may get some of the plant that my uncle gave to my mom. Keep up the gardening tradition.

16. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

Since I grew up on a nursery I am second generation. We had 2 acres of vegetables, 5 of nursery stock and a lot of greenhouses for seasonal stuff like 5,000 Easter Lilies. We also did landscape jobs and I started going out on those as a very young man.