Are your nest boxes used?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Kildale, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I started an annual nestbox week, hoping that we can get more people putting up nest boxes. This year (2013) was the start and this was the starting page, Nest Box Festival For 2014, I would like to add a couple of pictures of other peoples nest boxes being used. If you would like to be apart of this project just send me a picture or two and become famous.

2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I will try to get you a picture if I can. Though catching the little birds coming and going is difficult. At the moment, I think they are not in full use. Some of my boxes get used by the birds, but sometimes wasps take over. Any ideas of how to avoid that? I have not used sprays because I do not want to poison my birdie friends.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't put up nest boxes as squirrels and cats tend to raid them. I do, however, provide lots of planting that birds use to make their nests in. Holes in walls and trees, ivy, (and other climbers)also thick bushy shrubs are used by my feathered friends but are hidden away so that photography isn't easy.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

This is a Bewick's Wren's nest in my living room window one summer. They used to nest there a lot until I had to take down the AC unit and put the storm window back. I still have them, but now they usually hide their nests better. If my cats were out, the mother bird would fly around my house until she could see me in one of the rooms, and then make a huge fuss about getting the cats back indoors. [which I did]

[​IMG]
    bluebird house in the grapevines ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

This is my bluebird house which was rented in under 48 hours when I put it up. I have had bluebirds in it nearly every year since. No, I didnt get their picture though.

donna in nc likes this.
  6. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Thanks for the notes. Perhaps someone has a nestbox picture that they can send in.